Macbook Pro Retina electrocuting me (does yours do this)??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rkuo, Sep 12, 2012.

1. rkuo macrumors 6502a

Check this out:

If I run my fingertips lightly over the lid while it is closed and the charger is plugged in, my fingertips have a weird vibrating sensation.

If the charger is unplugged and I do the same thing, the texture feels normal like any other macbook.

If I have the lid open and have the charger attached, I can run my fingertips over the back and feel the same vibrating sensation. If I then ground my other palm on the case, the vibrating sensation goes away.

There's clearly something electrically weird happening with the case. I'm wondering if this is a defect or if everyone else with a retina has the same issue?

2. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

Maybe your skin is made of rubber balloon material?

3. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

You need moisture bro!
    Lube those hands. it is more pronounced when your hands are dry. Skin and such. Not electricity and magnetism.

4. bill-p macrumors 65832

Try a different outlet.

The reason you are experiencing that is because the outlet you are plugging the charger into has no ground. When there is no ground, electricity tends to try to run through something else.

5. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Odd, I was grounded and still had the sensation.

6. Dyno-Mike macrumors regular

I have this issue too on every outlet in the house. Have had it with all my previous MacBooks too and all other laptops with some kind of metal on the housing.

Needless to say i'm used to it now and the laptops have never failed because of this.

7. nontroppo macrumors 6502

nontroppo

Ha! This is IMO a "feature" — I've noticed this on every metal chassis macbook, and you can measure the potential using a multimeter (using a confirmed standard ground). I planned to use a an oscilloscope to measure the signal (I assume it is simply the frequency of the power source) but never got round to it. It gives the metal a nice "texture" when you rub a finger over the surface, and you can make it disappear by secondarily earthing it (i.e. it is easy to remove if Apple wanted to). I like it!

8. Bishwasher macrumors regular

Shocking :D:D:D

Sorry ill get my coat as I leave :rolleyes:

9. psynnott macrumors 6502

psynnott

As others have said, this is due to lack of earthing.

How I fixed it was to unclip the standard connector from the powerblock (which does not have earthing) and plug in the extension cable (which does have earthing).

You can confirm the difference of these by looking at the plug - the extension cable will have a metal piece in the inside of the ring bit. Hard to describe - I'll take a pic later is anyone is interested.

Edit: This is the UK version I'm talking about (240v). Both are 3 prong plugs.

10. bill-p macrumors 65832

Use the 3-prong extension adapter that came with the computer.

The original 2-prong plug that Apple likes to stick on their power bricks doesn't have a ground head...

If you are using the 3-prong extension and still feeling the "sensation", then something is wrong.

Note, though, that 110v is much less noticeable to 220v. The 2-prong plug on 110v outlets may or may not need to be grounded at all. Something to take into consideration.

11. retinafan macrumors newbie

You couldn't "resist" could you....

12. NikkiJayne macrumors regular

NikkiJayne

I don't have it on my rMBP but I do have it on the metal bit of my iPhone 3GS and my old aluminium coated Dell.

13. sno1man macrumors regular

It's actually Apple's patented way of building "buzz" for the new product announcements today.

Seriously though, as other have said, try the grounded cord that came with your machine. I have seen the same thing and switching to the grounded cord fixed it.

14. slirak macrumors newbie

My tv antenna caused a ground loop, which had this exact effect with my unibody MBP. A galvanic decoupler for the antenna fixed it. Cost like $4.

(A ground loop can of course be caused by other things than an antenna.)

15. LeeM macrumors 6502a

if i use the plug directly on the power brick i get the same, but if i use the provided extension lead it doesnt do it. i get the same with my iPad

16. theappleworm macrumors newbie

The same tingling sensation happens to me and I use the three prong extension cable.

17. pedrofan macrumors 6502

18. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

same thing here, that's normal.

need bare feet on the ground to really feel it.