MacBook Pro Retina Fan issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by leftroom, Jul 17, 2012.

1. leftroom, Jul 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2012

leftroom macrumors 6502

Hello Macrumors.

I just received my new MacBook Pro Retina more than a week or so. Tomorrow is the last day for its 14 days return.

Yesterday I was browsing in Safari and out of no where the computer freezes. So I push the power button until the computer was shutdown. Then I push the power button again. Everything worked.

But after that crash, the fans have started to go up 1000 rpm, from 2000 rpm which is default to 3000 rpm without any reason to do so I think. I have tried to reinstall the OS but I just came to the normal login screen with all of my apps just like it was before I did the reinstall. So it seems there was no reinstall?

I tried resetting the nvram and pram without any result. So now my beautiful MacBook Pro is up to 3000 rpm where I can hear the fans. Which I'm not supposed to do :( Any help here?

Maybe everything will be fine in Mountain Lion but then I can't return my computer.

Oh, and one more thing: Now that I seem to have done a reinstall the computer wants to install 2 updates. 1 Airport-firmware and 1 for the MacBook Pro Retina. Software update 1.0.http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1542?viewlocale=en_US. After I updated I can report back to you if the fan have kicked down to 2000 rpm.

2. Queen6, Jul 17, 2012

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Try and reset the SMC http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

1 Shut down the computer.
    2 Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.On the built-in keyboard,
    3 press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
    4 Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
    5 Press the power button to turn on the computer. *Note: The LED*on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

3. leftroom thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I tought It was something I forgot. I can reset the SMC after I finished the updates.

The Option-key is the alt-key or is it another one? Because on the left side I has: fn , ctrl , alt , cmd.

So if I understand you correctly:

Shut down the computer.
    Press the Shift-Control-Option key AND the power button all at the same time. Then release the keys. After that turn on the computer..?

Thanks for your help.

4. leftroom thread starter macrumors 6502

I did the SMC-reset but nothing happened. No sound to indicate that you're doing right pushing down the buttons. Started the computer up again and it's still 3000 rpm by default.

I have no temperature monitor-apps or smcfancontrol. Really weird this. It all started after the freeze yesterday when I had to push down the power button because it was unresponsive. I know the Macs fans are on 2000 rpm by default.

5. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

Applications > Utilities > Activity Monitor

Can you sort your processes by descending CPU usage and see if there's a runaway program making your MacBook heat up?

6. leftroom thread starter macrumors 6502

The weird thing is, for now I only have Safari and Spotify up. It seems that the computer change to 3000 rpm permanent. The fans won't kick down to 2000 rpm.

But the processes that are taking up the most CPU is:

Safari CPU 10-14%
    Spotify 5,7 %
    WindowServer 5,1 %
    kernel_task 1,8 %

Another thing I noticed is under Console - system.log I can find that there is a lot of voddler messages such as:
    "Jul 17 13:44:05 atlas com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[278] (com.voddler.vnet): Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds"

I'm sure I don't have Voddler installed anymore but they keep coming up on the console - system.log anyway.

"Jul 17 13:44:45: --- last message repeated 1 time ---
    Jul 17 13:44:45 atlas com.voddler.vnet[742]: /usr/bin/vnet: Unable to create directory "/Library/Application Support/voddler/": Permission denied
    Jul 17 13:44:45 atlas com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[278] (com.voddler.vnet[742]): Exited with code: 1
    Jul 17 13:44:45 atlas com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[278] (com.voddler.vnet): Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds
    Jul 17 13:44:55 atlas com.voddler.vnet[743]: /usr/bin/vnet: Failed to find file config.xml
    Jul 17 13:44:55 atlas com.voddler.vnet[743]: Trying to call a configfile function without having initialized configfile functionality! (configFile_init())
    Jul 17 13:44:55: --- last message repeated 1 time ---
    Jul 17 13:44:55 atlas com.voddler.vnet[743]: /usr/bin/vnet: Unable to create directory "/Library/Application Support/voddler/": Permission denied
    Jul 17 13:44:55 atlas com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[278] (com.voddler.vnet[743]): Exited with code: 1
    Jul 17 13:44:55 atlas com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[278] (com.voddler.vnet): Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds"

Don't know what is making the computer go up and stay at 3000 rpm when it should be 2000 rpm.

7. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Instal SMC Fan Control, set fans to higher, set fans default, you should be back to 2K.

8. leftroom, Jul 17, 2012

leftroom thread starter macrumors 6502

Interesting. I downloaded smcfancontrol. Set the fans to higher. The fans kicked up to 3300-3700 rpm but is now in 3000 rpm EVEN on the setting higher rpm. If I changed to default it stays at 3000 rpm. What is this?!

It seems like it forcing itself to stay at 3000 rpm no matter what.

9. mdapple macrumors regular

are you working in a hot room, or without AC on...

10. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

Unless he's in a sauna it shouldn't matter

11. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

If he's in a sauna, the macbook is ****ed anyway :p

12. leftroom, Jul 17, 2012

I'm on the top floor of my house, where it is kind of hot in the summer. I can go downstairs to my sisters room where it is cold.

But for now I'm reinstalling OS X once more to see if it can help. But I'm out of ideas. Pretty annoying to hear the fans kick up to 3000 rpm when it should stay at 2000.

I still think something happened yesterday when the whole computer freeze up and after the reboot the fans kicked up to 3000 rpm. :( No one else has this problem? Maybe it isn't such a problem but like I said, pretty annoying to hear the fans.

I mean, it forcing itself to stay at 3000 rpm after a freeze? Even with the smcfancontrol setting "Higher RPM" it stays at 3000 rpm but for a second it goes up to 3300-3700 rpm and then down again to 3000.

My Internet connection is very slow so to download the OS X Lion dmg takes forever, like 4 hours lol.

Update: I have now done a complete reinstall of OS X Lion but the computer is up to 3000 rpm still. Maybe I will go downstairs and see if it will disappear. Now the computer is exactly when I got it. So the fans should be at 2000 rpm-ish and NOT 3000 rpm. if there is something in the fans blocking it I don't know how to remove it. Aaaahh god this is very strange.

13. leftroom, Jul 17, 2012

Update 2: Now the computer is at 2000 rpm as it should be! Very much awesome! Don't know if I
    dare to install some apps or something now lol. Just after I logged in I shut it down and performed a SMC-reset. It is now at 2000 rpm. Don't know if that did the trick or not.

One more question: I haven't run the update MacBook Pro Mid 2012 Software Update, because I don't know if it will affect the fans or something. Do you guys have some issues with the update or not?

14. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

No issue with the update on my rMBP

15. leftroom thread starter macrumors 6502

Okey, thanks. Don't know why mine just make the whole computer freeze up. Now with a clean install of OS X Lion it runs ok.

16. orthorim macrumors 6502

I had CPU issues right away - open Activity Monitor and check to see if anything is using a lot of CPU constantly. For me it was the Dock process, Google for fixes.

Also install gfxCardStatus and set graphics to integrated. Turning off the gfx card makes the computer run cooler and frankly I think Apple's way of automatically turning on the dedicated card "as needed" doesn't work at all - they base it on frameworks used by a program, regardless of whether that program actually needs the GPU horsepower from the dedicated card. And most programs do not need it.