MacBook Pro Retina For University

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by woolyjumper, Jul 9, 2013.

1. woolyjumper macrumors newbie

woolyjumper

So I'm in the market for a new laptop as my 2010 MB has gone bonkers. I'm at university and will be using it for Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, AutoCad, iMovie and general use.

Would a 13 rMBP suffice or would a 15 be better? Also how much memory/ram would I need for everything to run smoothly and quickly with e.g. Illustrator and AutoCad running at once? Does the i7 make much difference over the i5. Should I buy a 13 inch and upgrade the processor? Or do I wait until the new Haswell is out and get that on a 13 inch?

My only issue is that the 15inch is a bit pricey starting at $2400! So a 13inch at this point is more affordable, as much as I would love the bigger screen...

2. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

With the 15" I think the 2012 refurbished units are a good deal. You can deal with 8GB. You will see gains with diminishing returns up as far as 32GB depending on how you use those applications. Really though 16GB + ssd can be quite comfortable. 8 is also fine for most people. If you're doing something like graphic design and making large composite files, 16 would be better, especially if you like to use a lot of history states. There isn't enough difference between 13" processors to make a big difference between one and another. The gain with the 15" is that you move to quad core. I don't think a haswell 13" rmbp would be a bad buy. Graphics get full opencl support. Battery life may improve, as intel has tweaked the hell out of power management.

3. LoMonkey macrumors regular

Either one should really be fine. It all depends on your budget. I wouldn't upgrade the processor past the starting for each model. The gains are marginal.

However, the RAM is the big boy. I would say max it out because you can't change it later.

SSD shouldn't be a big deal as there are cheap external hard drives now a days.

Keep in mind, you get a student discount, putting the 15 inch starting $200 less at $1999 plus tax

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say for the apps you are using, the 15" display is a better option, I found that the 13" MBP is just too small for PS. Can it run it, of course but the lack of screen real estate was a royal pain.