MacBook Pro Retina froze completely?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Xcelerate, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Xcelerate macrumors regular

Windows convert here. I've had my RMBR for about a week. Tonight, I was browsing a webpage, and everything just froze completely. The screen was still on, just like it was, except that the mouse wouldn't move, the touchpad didn't work, backlight and keyboard light buttons did nothing, power button did nothing, unplugging it and shutting the lid did nothing.

So eventually I just held the power button down until it turned off. It restarted and everything was just like it was (all programs still open and where they were), although whatever the Mac equivalent to task manager is was now up, which seems to indicate that even though the Mac was frozen, it registered my keyboard presses somehow and didn't respond until it restarted.

Is this a (somewhat) common problem? I'm hoping it's a software issue -- that doesn't bother me. A hardware issue on the other hand would be a little disconcerting.

2. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

I've had a few strange freezes on my RMBP as well, usually when coming out of screensaver. My bet is that it's software related and could be due to drivers for the GPU and retina display.

If it becomes a major problem you might take it in but if it was just this once I wouldn't worry too much about it.