Macbook pro retina GPU problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by akkotaire, Dec 27, 2015.

1. akkotaire macrumors member

Hi,
    My mid 2012 rMBP 15 went through a huge impact the other day, the screen was completely shattered and the body was curved. Since I want to wait for the next rMBP release before buying a new one, I thought I could try turning my laptop into a desktop computer. I took to logic board out, it was curved ! But surprisingly when everything was connected, it managed to boot. It seemed to work great, but sadly my GPU is acting weird.
    A tool I have installed (gfx card status) is telling me the computer is using the small Integrated GPU,
    But this is weird since I am using a external display. Macbooks need the discrete GPU to run a external display. When I choose Integrated only in the GFX option it does not let me, even though its telling it is using the integrated GPU.
    When the dynamic switching option is enable all the apps using the GPU such as 3D apps, they all crash. If I am using the discrete only they work, but the GFX, and other tools still says the computer is using the integrated chip. Also when I run sketchup the graphic are weird

I reflowed the GPU with a soldering rework station but it did not make any improvement.

Any Idea what I could try to narrow the problem down ?

Thanks

2. treekram macrumors 6502a

Congratulations on making the logic board work outside the laptop.

In clamshell mode, the integrated GPU may be able to drive an external display. I did a quick web search and that's what some people were suggesting.

The 2012 15" rMBP had problems with the GPU. Actually, it appears the problem was with how they did the soldering of the GPU with non-lead solder. Did you take the MBP in for the Repair Extension Program?

Were you able to drive external monitors before your mishap?

3. akkotaire thread starter macrumors member

Yup I got my macbook logic board replace earlier this year due to this problem,
    And I am not so sure about running external screen from the integrated GPU.
    When it got the GPU problem earlier this year external screen did not work, but then again maybe the fact that the retina display is not connected right now makes the it work.
    Before the impact a couple days ago it was working perfectly, I could drive a external screen in addition of the retina screen.

I just tried running GPU test, it runs smoothly and on the top of the page it says it is using the NVDIA GPU,
    I am so confused. I also cant bring it to apple check the uploaded picture.\

Thanks for the help

Attached Files: