Macbook pro retina HDMI blurry image

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by keviig, Aug 14, 2012.

1. keviig, Aug 14, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2012

keviig macrumors 6502

The other day i decided to hook it up to my Asus VG278h using a HDMI cable (connected to the HDMI port on the MBPr and the HDMI port on the Asus) using the full resolution of the screen (1920x1080). This is a screen i normally use for my windows desktop, and when used with the Windows PC it generates a clear and crisp image. However, when i connect my MBPr to the screen using the same cable i get a fuzzy and out of focus image with somewhat washed out colors. Any ideas as to what the problem could be?

2. dvdvdvdv macrumors newbie

blurry HDMI monitor

I have the same exact problem, same resolution on my 23" Dell U2312HM monitor. Have you found a solution?
    do you think that changing the connection type (i.e. Display port to Mini Display Port or VGA to Mini Display Port) would solve the problem?

I have a cheap Amazon cable, do you think that an expensive cable could fix it?

It is Very frustrating when you have a RETINA display aside your blurry external monitor, HELP:(

3. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

HDMI is digital - you'll get a signal or you won't. Blurriness, to me, seems more symptomatic of a poor quality VGA (analog) cable combined with external interference, coupling two cables together to make a makeshift longer cord, etc... back in the good ol' days, of course...

It's possible the HDMI cables you're using are of poor quality, but at smaller distances you wouldn't notice a difference.

Dopes the rMBP see the external monitor's resolution at 1920x1080p? Or might it be downsampling its native resolution? But that would not account for washed out colors... nor would the cable. Digital signals typically don't act that way... and the fact the same cable works on another device... it's not the cable.

If you can try a different connection type (try DisplayPort, MiniDP, etc) and get around the HDMI port in the rMBP and try to rule out the HDMI interface. There could be a bug in the hardware...