Resolved Macbook Pro Retina HDMI Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AstralShane5000, Dec 27, 2012.

1. AstralShane5000, Dec 27, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2012

AstralShane5000 macrumors newbie

This may be a dumb question, but, it's possible to connect the rMBP to a HDTV and output the video to the HDTV, like any other computers that have HDMI. Am I correct?

Thanks,
    Shane.

2. AstralShane5000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

3. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

adjeff8

Here's another dumb question. Does this mean we will be able to record a TV show onto our computers, and theoretically even email the program thru one of the Large files services like send it or the many others?

4. TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

Going to have to find a program that will do that. And the rMBP has a HDMI port on it all you need is a HDMI cord.

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57526348-285/how-to-record-live-tv-on-your-computer/

If you want to record TV shows get a hulu plus account and screen record them????

5. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The HDMI port on the Retina Macbook Pro is for video out only, not for video in. For that you will need a video capture device, like this:

http://www.elgato.com/elgato/na/mainmenu/products/EyeTV-HD/product1.en.html

6. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

No, the HDMI port on the rMBP is only an output, not an input.
    If you want to to record an input using it, you'd have to buy a dedicated recording device like a Blackmagic Intensity ($199) or Elgato Game Capture HD ($189).

7. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Absolutely not. It's an output port on the computer, and an input port on the TV.

TV tuners for computers are fairly cheap, but TV programs recorded off air eat up a lot of space - anywhere from 7 to 18 GB per hour. They can, however, be compressed to considerably smaller.

8. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

adjeff8

Thanks to all of you. Explains a lot. I had a feeling it was output only. But what you guys are saying is its actually possible if I buy software that does that. I can't tell you how many times I wanted to record something im watching to send to somebody. I'm well aware how much space it would eat up, but after sharing I would dump it. If it was for my personal use I would just DVR it;)