MacBook Pro retina help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Themightykojak, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Themightykojak macrumors newbie

Hello.
    I'm about to buy a MacBook Pro with retina but I need some help. I was originally going to buy the base model with 4GB of 1600MHz memory. But then I found out that 4 gb is nothing. So my question is if you guys think I should just upgrade the memory to 8gb and keep the 128 PCle flash based storage or just go with the next model up and get the 8gb model with 256 PCle flash based storage. I don't know what that stuff means so that's why I'm asking

Intended use:
    School work. I'm an English major so I need to write almost everyday. I also do personal writing.
    Web browsing: YouTube, reddit, etc
    Social networking/media: tumblr, Pinterest etc
    I know macs are great for some artsy stuff so Id like to also dabble with that tech, but I won't be doing anything too crazy.
    I'd be using it for nexflix hbo etc as well.
    Also, and this is in no way a definite thing, id like to run some simple games. Nothing too crazy. League of Legends, terraria etc. but at the same time if I can't it's not a big deal.

I want this machine to last me as long as possible. I know macs are very reliable so that's why I've decided to buy a macbook. I'll be using this unit for anything and everything until it's lifespan is over, so I want to make sure everything is perfect.

Also I want to know of there would be any reason to upgrade to processor from 2.4 to 2.6.
    Thanks!
    MacBook Pro with Retina display, New Mac buyer

2. dirtnnasty macrumors member

... depends on your budget, but if you can afford the 8gb Ram and 256Gb SSD, I would recommend it to you.

It is a nice model with future (lifespan)...

edit:

there is no big differences between both cpu's, so keep with base 2.4

3. Dovahkiing macrumors regular

I think 4GB would be fine for you. Your needs are pretty light and the SSD is really what's going to make the computer feel snappy. I think your focus should be on hard drive size instead. Is 128GB enough for you? Or do you need 256? If you want the bigger SSD, then I'd say go ahead and get the next model up as the extra RAM will give you more head space for the future.

4. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

I guess you are talking about the 13" rMBP as 15" models all have 8GB as the basic RAM size. There is one step between the standard basic model and the standard middle model. You can indeed upgrade the memory to 8GB and keep the small SSD. Personally I would go with the standard middle model with 8GB and 256GB SSD. Be sure to compare the prices using Ed discount versus ordering from MAcMall or B&H to get the best deal. Usually B&H has the best prices on AppleCare.

$1299: 2.4Gh, 4GB 128GB
    $1399: 2.4Gh, 8GB 128GB
    $!499: 2.4Gh, 8GB 256GB

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-pro

5. dirtnnasty macrumors member

i think there is no upgrade just for SSD... RAM and SSD or just RAM, but not just SSD...

so 8GB RAM and 256GB is the next step after the base

6. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

IMO, make sure to get the higher RAM. 8GB is a good amount to have. As far as storage, I would get the 256p

7. magnumpi macrumors member

Unless you are going to run multiple VMs, 128 GB is more than enough. If you happen to need more, most likely is going to be because of media content and for that you don't need ultrafast storage. You can always buy an external HDD/SSD later which is going to be cheaper. The 8 GB is non negotiable IMHO.

If you still have doubts about the storage and you can afford it by all means get the 256 GB upgrade. Better safe than sorry.

8. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

The 2.4/8/256 is currently considered the best bang for your buck, especially if you can get the education discount (which you can). Unless you do everything in the cloud or don't mind carrying external drives, that 128 is going to fill up fast with papers and other files especially since you really only have 80gb of usable space. The 256 leaves room for papers, iTunes, and anything else you want to store on your internal drive.

I'd also recommend getting an external drive for backups if you're not using. A cloud service. A 500gb Western Digital My Passport or something like that will work well and not be too expensive.

9. eneisch macrumors 6502a

If you want to keep any music and videos on the SSD then I would highly recommend the 256GB version. I have a friend with a 128GB Air and he wishes he spent the extra for a 256GB drive for that reason.

10. rex450se macrumors regular

I would go the 8GB ram/256GB SSD version. Do you know anyone in college that can get you the educational discount? Or shop around. MicroCenter has this version for $1399, the education price, right now. Personally, I don't think I have hardly anything that isn't needed on my hard drive right now and I've used 80GB. 128 would just be cutting it too close for me. The ram I would say you have to upgrade because it's not something you can do later, and the hard drive if you can afford it. But if you have a MicroCenter or similar place around it would be like getting the 256 GB for free.

Victor

11. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Remember to compare the total cost including tax. MacMall has most of the models for $50-75 off. Depending on your state....no sales tax. That combo may beat an Ed discount plus sales tax.

12. kathyricks macrumors 6502

Some killer deals on ebay occassionally too if you can find a reputable seller who doesn't have shill bidders working for him. Like a new 15" rMBP went for only $1675.00 today (with only a few bidders bidding) including shipping and WITH the 3 year Applecare warranty and no sales tax. http://tinyurl.com/ona6rhy That computer with tax and AppleCare would cost $2,500 at the Apple Store