MacBook Pro Retina hinge

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by peejack, Jan 5, 2013.

1. peejack macrumors 6502a

Hi,

Just got a new retina MBP and the hinge creaks lightly when it's opened is this normal has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Mine doesn't creak but there seems numerous reports of others with such an issue, not sure what they did to resolve it, i.e., return it or live with it

3. peejack thread starter macrumors 6502a

Its just when you first open it, it seems to click a little. Didn't know if I was being over the top or not.

4. KPOM macrumors G5

Which model? I don't notice it on my 13" rMBP.

5. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

Its a common issue with all unibody MBPs.
    I have had it, but they replaced it when I took it in to fix my busted graphics card.

6. peejack thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have noticed when I close the mac and 'wiggle' the black hinge up and down there is slight movement in there like it's loose.

Is this normal??

7. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

I never had this issue.

8. arsalannn, Jan 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2013

arsalannn macrumors newbie

Mine developed this after a few weeks. You could feel it catch on something a little when you opened the lid (as in... it didn't open smoothly), and it made slight clicking noises. Believe it or not, took it in to have it looked at and all they did was take the bottom casing off and put it back on. I guess if your bottom plate isn't aligned quite right or is loose enough, the bottom of the MBP lid somehow scrapes against it when you open it.

Never found out if that was a permanent fix or not, because I had that rMBP replaced due to a faulty trackpad.

----------

This probably won't be much help, but I remember having this issue as well. Problem is, can't quite recall if it was on my original rMBP that had the misaligned bottom plate and made the clicking noises, or on my replacement that I have now. I want to say it was on my replacement, but I just checked and my hinge doesn't move. Soooo... either it settled in over time and has no correlation to the clicking noises, or that's the root of your problem. Good luck!

9. maxosx macrumors 68020

10. Ccrew macrumors 68020

That's normal. It's just a plastic cover.

11. peejack thread starter macrumors 6502a

What about the click when it opens? Is there anything I can do about this or should I just ask for replacement?

12. arsalannn macrumors newbie

Answered this above, although apparently not very clearly.

Try having them realign the bottom plate. It fixed my clicking noise, but I'm not sure if it was a permanent fix because I only had that computer for a week or so after that before it was replaced.

13. Brettka7 macrumors regular

Mine did, and was stiff from about 70-120 degree angles. It popped, snapped, creaked, ended up having the entire display assembly replaced.

14. peejack thread starter macrumors 6502a

So outcome was they shipped a new rMBP to me and the hinge is perfect. It's a LG display and have noticed zero issue.

My other one obviously had some issue.

Really happy with this one :)