MacBook Pro Retina - Image Retention?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kaileyluxxx, Mar 8, 2013.

1. kaileyluxxx, Mar 8, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2013

kaileyluxxx macrumors newbie

kaileyluxxx

I recently purchased a MacBook Pro Retina (15 inch) back in December and just now am experiencing image retention. Does anyone know any solutions to this? Do I take it in to the Apple Store? Will they replace the screen or the system itself? I'm totally clueless when it comes to these sorts of issues, so any replies will be greatly appreciated :eek:

2. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

This issue appears much more often than you think.

Take it to Apple and they will likely replace the screen free of charge (assuming you're under warranty/AppleCare).

3. kaileyluxxx thread starter macrumors newbie

kaileyluxxx

I haven't purchased AppleCare, yet. However, I'm guessing the 1-year limited warranty will cover this issue? Thank god it wasn't a damage on my part :eek:
    Will they be performing any tests or? It usually takes ten-fifteen minutes for the image retention to appear.

4. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Yes, they'll perform tests.

Yes, I'm 99% sure it will be covered in the 1 year AppleCare.

I'd also highly recommend extending your AppleCare plan before it runs out (as once it runs out you can not extend it).

5. kaileyluxxx thread starter macrumors newbie

kaileyluxxx

Okay, so I'm guessing turning on my macbook pro fifteen minutes prior to my genius bar appointment is a good idea. How much is AppleCare? I wonder if I can purchase it with my student discount.

6. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Depending on where you buy it, it can be $250-$350 on average. Definitely worth it as most users will assure you.

7. Brian Y macrumors 68040

If you only get IR after leaving a static image on your screen for 15 minutes, that's not really a fault. That would be considered to be within working specifications for IPS panels.

8. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

I think he meant it takes 10-15 minutes of usage for the image retention to appear.

9. jozeppy26 macrumors 6502

jozeppy26

I only have image retention would left static for like 10 min or more, and it's only really noticeable if I intentionally try to cause it and notice it after. It usually disappears after about 5 min or so of regular use. I don't really feel the need to exchange it, unless:

Have there been any reports of image burn-in?