Macbook Pro Retina - Is this a common issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Superman041, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Superman041 macrumors regular

I've noticed small chips on the base of the macbook pro retina. I clean it daily, with the cloth, put it in a sleeve but it's still happening!

is there an issue with the retina macbook pro aluminium casing? Apple recommend not putting a trackpad protector or hard case!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't clean my rMBP daily (rarely actually), I've not noticed any chips, or nicks on mine.

3. Trek2100 macrumors 6502a

Trek2100

My new rMBP is my 3rd laptop; a Gateway, a 17" MBP and this one. I only wipe them off when I see some dust which is usually once a week or so if the computer is left sitting on a desk, etc. Computers are dust magnets and dust can eventually fry motherboards. I'm a retired IT Tech and part of my job was maintaining the computers. They were a bunch of dust bunnies. You might consider occasionally having a maintenance person taking the bottom off and cleaning it. If it's out of warranty you can do it yourself if you take the proper precautions (no metal touching any components). To specifically answer your question I've never seen or noticed chips on my laptops.

4. Superman041 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't think it's possible to replace/take off the bottom of the retina macbook pro, not unscrewing it, but the bottom casing.

5. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

I get this on my MacBook Air. Horrible little chips even though I wipe it down and use a hard shell case. They do seem to disappear over time, however maybe I just notice them less. I think it's just the fact that Aluminium is quite soft as a metal so a lot of stuff can scratch it easily.

All the metal that the MacBooks ship with will be the same and even if you have a thicker laptop, its not going to make a difference to the amount that the laptop chips/scratches.

Hope this helps! :D

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'm curious as to why posters here seem to think that cleaning the surface of a laptop is somehow preventative maintenance against chipping? :confused:

7. Not2shabbe macrumors newbie

cracks

Macbook Pro Retina - Is this a common issue?
    I've noticed small chips on the base of the macbook pro retina. I clean it daily, with the cloth, put it in a sleeve but it's still happening!

is there an issue with the retina macbook pro aluminium casing? Apple recommend not putting a trackpad protector or hard case!

i have vertical stress lines on the front corners of my MBP w/Retina on the flat edge (side) starting at the corners and moving back about an inch in both directions it's like the aluminum is being stretched out it sits at desk never moves but has a plastic protector on it some times

8. Trek2100 macrumors 6502a

Trek2100