Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisDB

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
Bucharest Romania
Doesn't seem to fix the issues with WindowServer.

Might be a placebo effect since there is no lag on 1440x900 Best Fit with/without reseting ws preferences.

Much of the lag is noticeable if running at 1920x1200 or higher HiDPI.

Mine was having lag even on best for retina . Also who run their mac on best for retina ? Everything is way too big .

sarthak

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
Also who run their mac on best for retina ? Everything is way too big .

Agree, I have never run it at Best Fit since it's almost unusably large as you can't fit or use more than a single window at a time.

The Retina Display allows with SwitchResX to run at 2240x1400 HiDPI (4480x2800) which I find is the most sharpest option even more so than 1920x1200 (more space) or 2048x1200 HiDPI.

Last edited:

KingOfStuff

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2013
A way that fixes it!! sort of...

i have a 27" iMac with 680mx 2gb with a 24" Dell secondary and i get this Yosemite ui lag. A restart fixes it for a short time but then it comes back. BUT if i turn on my parallels VM and activate fullscreen ALL ui animations instantly become smooth as butter. ONLY if i keep the vm active on the screen. if i switch to a virtual space the smoothness goes away. playing games the hardware keeps up. obviously a software glitch. From past experience i know that when having a VM in fullscreen it activates the full power of the gpu and i wonder if apple does some de-clocking of the gpu at times. maybe to save power?

KingOfStuff

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2013
Another find

after messing around a bit i noticed something else. I use the accessibility zoom A LOT. if you look at the WindowServer in activity monitor you can see it uses very little cpu when not zoomed in. Now, if you have two monitors you may be able to replicate what i am seeing. zoom in on the screen and the WindowServer shoots up in cpu time for a short second as it should. move your mouse around and it shoots up again close to 70% cpu. if you have istat you can see the gpu fps hover in the 30s. now if you open a VM and enter fullscreen and redo the tests you will see a difference. the cpu doesnt shoot above 20% while zoomed in and moving the mouse. in iStat you will see the gpu fps go to 60 while moving the mouse instead of hovering around 30.

just thought i'd mention all this in here.

KingOfStuff

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2013
and another find

maximizing chrome or firefox smooths all animations on the screen as well even with multiple displays. maximizing safari does not.

kofman13

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2009
has anyone tried to simply bring their mac back into apple and ask them to exchange? if so, do you still have lag?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.