MacBook Pro Retina not coming on after sleep?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hieveryone, May 7, 2014.

1. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

I have a late 2013 MBPr. After I close the lid and open it back up, the screen is supposed to come on exactly how I left it.

Sometimes, at least 1-2 times a day, the screen is just black and all I see is the cursor. After maybe 15 seconds then the screen will come back.

I do have a passcode set on my machine to come on after 1 minute. I have changed it to 15 minutes to see if that helps.

Anyone can help me? :confused:

2. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

I also have this same issue every now and then too, would also like to know the solution....

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yeah this is normal. The black screen is due to the fact that you closed the lid, so the computer is doing the sleep cycle.

4. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

It's not normal, it is a software bug that will be fixed next update. It happens on the airs too.

5. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

Does anyone know when it'll be? Rather annoying.

6. MyiBill macrumors 6502

Same used to happen to my on my 2012 rMBP and got worse to where there was no cursor and it required multiple reboots. Turns out the logic board is failing.

7. 5to1 macrumors 6502

Have the same issue on my 13" late 2013 model. Although it only happens once or twice in a week (I do use the laptop daily, between 8/12 hours). I also have a passcode setup to come on after 15 mins, but I don't think its related to that, as it sometimes happens after I close the lid, not just when it auto locks.

8. cruzmisl macrumors regular

If you have the computer set to lock after waking up/screen saver, you can type in your password and hit enter. It will make your desktop appear.

9. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

I definitely don't think my logic board is failing. It's only 2 months old.

10. cruzmisl macrumors regular

This issue is not related to the hardware. It's a software issue.

11. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

Does anyone know if Apple releases software updates on the weekend?

I had it happen twice today so I'm looking forward to 10.9.3 ASAP.

12. MacMySongs macrumors newbie

Same Problem on my MacBook Air

My 2013 MacBook Air has been acting the same way. After waking from sleep, it's just a black screen and the cursor. Takes anywhere from 15 to 30 seconds for the desktop to reappear.

My 2011 iMac is fine though. No problem at all.

----------

I'm submitting feedback to Apple about this. Hopefully everyone else is too. Just go to http://www.apple.com/feedback/

13. benguild, May 12, 2014
    Last edited: May 12, 2014

benguild macrumors 6502a

I have this issue too. The funny thing is that the system is actually working, it just doesn't display what it's doing. It's really annoying since the only apparent solution is an unsafe shutdown.

What I do is leave a terminal window in the foreground so that I can type "sudo shutdown -h now" + admin password into the shell and the system safely powers off.

14. pier macrumors 6502a

pier

So did anyone find a solution for this?

I have a 13'' 2014 MBPr and every time the screen shuts off to save battery I get the black screen with a cursor after pressing a key or touching the trackpad.

I'm using 10.9.4 btw.