MacBook Pro Retina not refreshing storage

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Smithye46, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Smithye46 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone

Im new to this forum and have searched for help but could not find any, basically my macbook pro will not refresh its memory. I have mackeeper and when i do a disk scan it says i have used 125gb but when i go into about this mac and then into storage it says i have used 225 of my 250.

Anytime i delete something it never refreshes so my question is how do i do refresh or do i have a problem?

Many Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

3. Smithye46 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi thanks for the reply, not sure it this makes a difference as macbook still not refreshing storage after i delete things. Has anyone ever had this problem?

4. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

What does the Finder say? Does the Finder show that you have more memory storage than MacKeeper?

If yes, then what you're noticing is Time Machine local backups. These are backups made so that you can quickly restore files even when you're away from your Time Machine storage disk, and they can grow to be quite large in size. For example, I noticed that mine took up 144 GB at their largest on a 500 GB disk. The third-party disk usage monitors that I've used don't seem to distinguish the backups from other space, but the reason why Finder does is because those backups are deleted by the system to make room for other things. In other words, it's taking up space on the disk, but the OS regards it as second-class storage that will immediately be deleted to make room for your data, should the need arise. This is why the Finder counts it as free space.

If it bothers you, local Time Machine backups can be disabled using an application like Chameleon SSD Optimizer.

5. simsaladimbamba

What things did you delete then? Did you empty the Trash and restarted your Mac yet? Have your disabled local Time Machine backups as the first link I gave you explained?