MacBook Pro Retina Now or Wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by laurentir35, Jul 15, 2013.

  1. laurentir35 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2013
    #1
    Hello! First post.

    I've been reading the forums, especially similar questions, what are the improvements on the current MacBook Pro Retina over the soon to come MacBook Pro Retina?

    Current Model:
    15-inch: 2.7GHz
    Retina display
    2.7GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
    Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz
    16GB 1600MHz memory
    512GB flash storage
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory
    Built-in battery (7 hours)2

    Is the model that is coming out soon that much of an improvement? If it's not and it is coming out around October, should I really wait?
     
  2. Ichabod. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2012
    #2
    It may depend greatly on Apple's choice with the dedicated GPU.

    If they have a current-generation NVidia GPU (750M+), its graphical performance will be significantly better.

    If they choose to not included a dGPU, its battery performance may be higher (Probably not as much as the Air, but maybe 2-3 hours+).

    Whether these are important enough to wait (either 1-3 months) and pay more for the new model is up to your needs/preferences.

    Good luck on your decision :)
     
  3. jread macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2012
    Location:
    Austin, TX
    #3
    This question has been asked... a lot... on this forum.

    Leaked benchmarks show that they may eliminate the dedicated GPU from the new 15" rMBP, which has certainly rustled a lot of jimmies around here.

    Basically, Haswell is not going to do much for the 15" except increase battery life, and if they omit the dedicated GPU, then graphics performance will actually be worse than the current model. The 13" only has integrated graphics, so Haswell will be a bigger improvement on that model "both graphics and battery life). However, again there are leaked benchmarks on the 13" that show even it isn't a huge performance jump.

    If you need the faster SSD, faster wifi and better battery life, then wait. If graphics performance is important, then still wait and see what they do with the 15". If they omit the dedicated GPU, then get a discounted Ivy Bridge 15".

    Either way, you win.
     
  4. dazlicous macrumors 6502a

    dazlicous

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2011
    Location:
    Manchester
    #5
    ^^^^ This

    If they do omit the dGPU then surely Apple are gonna have to reduced the price of a Haswell rMBP by a fair bit. Which will hopefully reduce the Ivy Bridge version in the refurb store
     
  5. IC3D macrumors regular

    IC3D

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2008
    Location:
    Fairfield County, CT
    #6
    I have that same RMBP you speak of, and the only issue I find is screen burn when I have the brightness all the way up and leaving it on one screen for a while (hours on end).

    It goes away though. Great machine for me.
     
  6. laurentir35 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2013
    #7
  7. IC3D macrumors regular

    IC3D

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2008
    Location:
    Fairfield County, CT
    #8
  8. laurentir35 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2013
    #9
    So you leave it on and the screen burns? As in you have lost pixels?
     
  9. IC3D macrumors regular

    IC3D

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2008
    Location:
    Fairfield County, CT
    #10
    If I leave it on, at full brightness, it will give me a slight image of what I was previously looking at. Once I turn it down a few notches, it goes away. Doesn't seem to be a permanent thing. Just when I leave it up full blast. :)
     
  10. laurentir35 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2013
    #11
    Oh, good to know. I probably won't mess with the brightness though, my real eyes do something very similar with bright things :)
     
  11. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

    sparkie7

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2008
    #12
    Why would you leave it on full blast? to test your sunnies out? :cool:
     
  12. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2012
    #13
    u should wait for the 2015 macbook retinas come out
     
  13. mac00l macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 3, 2011
    #14
    If you need it now, go and buy it.

    If there's no rush. Then wait. If the new rMBP fits your needs get it, else you still win by getting an older model from the refurbished store.

    PS. Getting the latest generation of processors "most" times get you a better bang for your buck. I got the early 2011 MBP 13". The first with Ivy Bridge and more than 2 years later there isn't a significant improvement. My 2 years old MBP is still better than most average laptops in the market. Paired with a SSD and more RAM it flies.
     
  14. vandoorn macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 31, 2011
    #15
    I would say buy now. The current retina is amazing and if you buy it refurbished or 2nd hand it comes at great price too.

    If you decided to think the upgrade is worth it, you can sell the current one and buy the new one. But i must say, the current is already amazing!
     
  15. ValSalva macrumors 68040

    ValSalva

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2009
    Location:
    Burpelson AFB
    #16
    I agree. I have the same specs but but mine is from June of 2012 and thankfully I've had no screen burn issues. It's the best laptop I've ever owned. You can wait but you won't go wrong in buying the current 15" rMBP.
     
  16. Loge macrumors 68020

    Loge

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2004
    Location:
    England
    #17
    I think the early 2011 is Sandy Bridge; I have the 15". Agree it is still super fast.
     
  17. Sym0 macrumors 6502

    Sym0

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2013
    #18
    I have been saying all along to just get the current model, but die hards still tell you to wait. Yet now the benchmarks are becoming clear, there is little advantage to waiting, in fact it may be worse.

    Either way you can enjoy the worlds best laptop right now and for many months for less (I saved 20%) or go without and get the update, if and when it arrives and see that it has not revolutionised the laptop and carry on the same anyway.

    Just get one, IF you can get it cheap, if you can pay full price then wait.
     
  18. lagisibuk macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2013
    Location:
    Always Somewhere
    #20
    I think, the new model and latest model (high version), will not "significant" performances. okay, maybe new generation will increase for 10% or 20%, but how to measure that this increase you will need? if you're not sure, please buy and get one now!! :rolleyes:
     

Share This Page