Macbook Pro Retina or iMac/ Air

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by slackmachine, Oct 23, 2013.

1. slackmachine macrumors newbie

I'm going into college next year and need to choose a computer setup. I'm a big photographer so that's the reason I need the power of one of these computers. I currently have a 2011 iMac 27" with 24gb RAM and an i5. It runs well, barely any lag. For college, there are two options:

Get a Macbook Pro Retina 13"
    or
    Get an 11" air and use it with my iMac I already have

Thoughts/ Recommendations

2. Tfb macrumors member

Wait and see!

If you end up in a big dorm room with plenty of space for a desktop, and a nice roommate who isn't around too much or who is also studious, then I guess you'll love having the extreme portability of the small mba while being able to retreat to your room and do work on your huge screen with tons of hard drive space. But if you end up in a tiny room with barely any desk space and/or a roommate who's around and plays music all the time, it'll be a different story and you might appreciate having power/disk space/screen size you can carry around with you, even if it's heavier and bigger.

You might also want to get a sense of how much time you'll want to spend working in your room or whether you'd rather be out and about to work, study, and hobby.