MacBook Pro Retina or Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by visualanté, May 8, 2014.

1. visualanté macrumors member

I need advice, i have a 4 to 5 g budget for a new machine. I am a digital artist and work on high res large images up to 40" x 60". I currently have a 2010 macbook pro 17 i5. I know I will get a cinema display but torn on laptop or nmp......will the 16ram be big enough, i do some video renders but majority is PS CC. Any advice?

2. dan1eln1el5en macrumors 6502

dan1eln1el5en

you don't make professional videos thus the macbook pro retina.

the Mac Pro isn't really for a broad range of professionals, and the macbook pro is screaming fast and very very capable.
    I'm using it myself, 15" all specced out, it can run anything and Maya, PP, AE etc. just runs like it was a good desktop, it's mobile and the screen is amazing.

3. visualanté thread starter macrumors member

my fear is 16gig ram limit, i only have 8 and i am maxing it, my psd files are 5gig

4. wheelhot macrumors 68020

Is it always at 5GB? Cause why do you think the action of getting a rMBP suddenly will expand your RAM usage beyond 5GB?

If you don't need to move around, the nMP will be the better solution longer term, it's sorta portable but if you're moving from location to location daily, a rMBP would be better.

5. visualanté thread starter macrumors member

truthfully i don't think it will expand a lot as of now. I do like portability but i get sidetracked on long term....it would need to run 24/7

6. rei101 macrumors 6502a

Well...

I work in a shared spaces office. Everybody has an iMac, there are several photographers. Most of them have a MBP connected to a display and they do everything like that as a work station.

My self... I have a 2008 17" MBP, just for web surfing and basic video editing in Final Cut 7.

My suggestion would be to get an iMac and keep your MBP. Or to get a MBP with an external monitor and keyboard as your work station.

I installed a SSD to my MBP and it flies, it would resolve part of your speed problem if you do not have enough ram. But a Mac Pro.... nah... too expensive.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Get a Mac Pro.

Perhaps consider the older one if space is not an issue.

8. dan1eln1el5en macrumors 6502

dan1eln1el5en

RAM isn't an issue, I got, as mentioned, the big one with 16 gigs, but considering a photoshop or movie file rely heavily on cache files it's more about the speed of your storage (SSD PCIe) and it's speed.

I think Mac Pro sounds like overkill and you can get a maxed out 15" mbp retina for the same as a base MP.
    Also since you are using Adobe suite you won't see the advances in movie editing as we've seen people using Final Cut suite have.

9. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Mac Pro all the way.

The biggest reason I see is you said you'll be running it 24/7 - a MBP isn't going to live long like that, where the MP is built to be run like that.

10. visualanté thread starter macrumors member

so the mac pro would be a 6 core with d700's and 16gig ram and 500gig ssd and apple care
    $5197 plus monitor

or

macbook pro maxed out 2.6 i7 16gig ram with 1tb ssd and apple care
    $3648 plus monitor

will the 1500 and lack of mobility be worth it...i do have a 2010 17" with ssd but 8gig ram and i5

11. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

If it will run 24/7, get the Mac Pro.

It will do a lot better under a sustained load.

12. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

May be you should check the following link before you make the decision.

http://pindelski.org/Photography/2013/10/23/new-mac-pro/

The new Mac Pro is a beautiful machine, but it is so Final Cut Pro orientated. Almost no other software can take full benefit from that machine. For photographer, I think the oMP is still the best choice, better expandability, more or less the same performance with only 1/3 of the nMP's price. Able to run 24/7 but still cool, quiet, and reliable.

Of course, if you need mobility, the oMP will not be your cup of tea (the nMP is actually considered portable, but just not able to run like a laptop). Therefore, if you need both performance and a portable computer, And a 24/7 machine, the nMP should be the best choice (the most expensive one as well).

In terms of performance, the MBP's spec looks pretty good, or matched with the desktop. However, the thermal throttling will make it never run as fast as the desktop. Of course, it should still be enough for normal photoshop operation. But as you said 16G of RAM may cause you trouble later on. An SSD scratch disk will help a bit, but still far slower than the RAM.

13. visualanté thread starter macrumors member

Actually since that article, adobe has updated for the new Graphics Cards I believe. oMP I feel is future locked even if fast...thunderbolt is gonna be a necessity

14. h9826790, May 17, 2014
    Last edited: May 17, 2014

h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

It really depends on what you need. Of course, thunderbolt 2 may be your best solution for some particular reason.

However, mini display port can output 4K 60MHz. USB3 can connect external device with high speed but a much lower cost.

Anyway, I agree that the oMP is future locked, but won't be near future. Remember that Apple still officially sold oMP 9 months ago. Their is no way that they totally ignore this produce in the next 1-2 years (e.g. all OSX in the next few years should be supported on oMP 5,1).

My 2009 Mac Pro still works good today, and can easily beat the base model nMP with some cheap upgrade (compare to the price of nMP).

I don't know what will happen 5 years later. However, I am pretty sure an oMP with proper upgrade can still run for at least another 4-5 years. At least it should be good enough for photoshop.

I personally quite care about the expandability of the computer (especially for this high end model). The nMP is upgradable at some point of view, but not easy at all. I really don't want to disassembly the whole computer before I can upgrade my CPU. I can't use any RAM with a little bit bigger heat sink. The graphic card is non-upgradable at this moment. For any PICe expansion, it must be done externally which destroy the beauty of that machine...etc.

The nMP is a good machine, I love it. However, it's not that future proof. When the nMP 2015 or 2016 release, I don't think the nMP 2013 user can upgrade their nMP to that standard. But my 2009 MP is using a very current GPU now, and I can further upgrade it later on. Everything is matched with the 2012 Mac Pro.

With the internal PCIe slot, I can install USB 3.0 card or may be 4.0 when they release. I can easily have 10T of HDD storage and few SATA 3 SSD.... All these can be done internally. Od course, this is just my personally preference. By using the thunderbolt 2 PCIe chassis, all these can be done externally in the nMP as well (but very expensive).

I did seriously consider to buy the nMP. However, I finally choose to upgrade my oMP and wait for a bit longer. Hopefully the nMP will be upgradable in the next few years. And more 3rd party options for that Machine. Otherwise, I will wait until my oMP is totally outdated, and then get the top model nMP (at least the top GPU).

15. kingtj macrumors 68020

re: Final Cut oriented?

The statement that the new Mac Pro is "so heavily Final Cut Pro oriented" is only true in the "here and now". What we've seen is Apple updating FCP to utilize the power of the new Mac Pro effectively, while most other developers haven't had time to do that yet.

I believe Apple just upgraded Logic Pro X to give a similar performance boost on a new Mac Pro.

I see no reason why Adobe wouldn't try to do the same with their suite, at least in the next CS revision? If you buy the new Mac Pro right now, you're investing for future capabilities, IMO. It's not going to be the case, indefinitely, where few apps make full use of it besides Final Cut Pro X.