Macbook Pro Retina or Macbook Pro 15 inch? Help!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Vampire5003, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Vampire5003 macrumors 6502

Hello, I've been looking at a new Macbook for a few months now and decided on the retina display Macbook Pro. Unfortunately, everywhere is out of stock. I want to buy the computer through Newegg or Amazon, but so far they are both out of stock completely. The purpose of my thread is for someone to compare the Macbook Pro 15inch, Macbook Pro Retina, and Macbook Air 13 inch together. I want a computer that is fast enough for light gaming (Starcraft 1 and 2, but mostly 1, and Diablo 3), some photo editing, web surfing, good display and finally a system that will last at least a year. When I say last, I mean in terms of resale value NOT "OMG my Macbook broke down in 9 months). So can anyone help me out? Oh and theirs no budget if the purchase is through Newegg or Amazon.

Thanks guys!

2. celitrd2 macrumors newbie

I would say go for the Retina, which is what I did. I'm was in the same situation as you.. I bought and tested out the 13" mac air, 13" macbook pro and ultimately end up with the Retina. In my case, I rarely use the DVD drive, firewire, network port and don't need a large internal storage space since I have a few portable usb hd laying around for archiving. The screen is very nice and it does whatever you throw at it. You won't regret, I know I didn't! I see myself using the Retina for at least 3+ years.

3. Vampire5003 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply! Let me ask you, where did you purchase your MBP Retina? That beautiful piece of engineering is sold out everywhere....if only it was in stock at Newegg.

4. celitrd2 macrumors newbie

I bought it at Best Buy. Had to call them daily since they stated they were getting shipments in but they did not know exactly the date/time.

5. Vampire5003 thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh yeah a best buy around 35-40 minutes away has two left, but I wanted to use my Newegg card. Is the difference between the normal MBP 15 inch and the retina display that much? I imagined that if I purchased the 15 inch for $1799 and then a SSD for $250 (Crucial M4 256GB) that I would get everything but the beautiful display.

6. celitrd2 macrumors newbie

Don't let those issues that you've been hearing/reading about the Retina scare you. There's always a bad batch in any product releases. I'm sure whatever the problem is, Apple will surely address it sooner or later.

7. Vampire5003 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah perhaps I will just suck it up and purchase the retina MBP through best buy.

Thanks!

8. celitrd2 macrumors newbie

Which is exactly why I chose the Retina vs the traditional 15"mbp. Once you start spending money to replace parts, you'll end up in the same place. With the Retina, it's already at a place where you wanted without the hassle. If you tinker with the mbp and something goes wrong, you have to put in the original parts back in order for Apple to service it. If you get the Retina, you're ready to go without further customization. Plus you get the thin form factor, 8GB vs 4GB, and Retina display. Just buy and enjoy!

----------

btw, I'm currently downloading Diablo 3 right now :D

9. Vampire5003 thread starter macrumors 6502

I haven't played Diablo yet, but I bet it's fun. :D

10. harrisonw1998 macrumors regular

A MacBook Air seems to be the best fit for you. The rMBP really is meant for creative professionals now more than gaming, but if you want the retina screen, go for it. Might have to wait a few weeks though.

11. Vampire5003 thread starter macrumors 6502

A Little Update

Hello everyone I've been wanting to make a update to this thread, and as of June 6th I now can! Basically I took celitrd2 advice, and waited and waited for the RMBP to come in stock and on July 3, 2012 it paid off. Newegg sent me a email letting me know they had the RMBP in stock, and as soon as I got that email I ordered the base model RMBP ASAP. I chose overnight shipping and received it today around 2:45pm. Well so far I can say the purchase was worth it, since this computer is fast, thin, portable, beautiful, and best of all has the best display I've seen.

Alright guys, thanks for all the suggestions and helping me decide on the Retina Display Macbook Pro.

----------

Can't wait to play Diablo 3 on my new RMBP!

12. celitrd2 macrumors newbie

Congrats!!! and now you have to look for accessories =)

I ordered the keyboard cover and hard shell case. It should be arriving next week from amazon. We'll see how it goes on once I've receive it.

13. Vampire5003 thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha, that's what I was thinking, after all who wants to scratch this gift from god up? The only thing that bothers me about hardshell cases is when dust or lint gets under the case it sometimes scratches the hell out of the computer. Gosh I wish Apple would polyurethane coat the computer! Lol jk, no thumps down please!

14. celitrd2 macrumors newbie

Updates: I received the TPU keyboard cover and it fits perfectly. You can purchase it at Amazon from TopCase vendor. $0.99 + $3.99SH