MacBook Pro retina or non retina?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hulk2012, Aug 9, 2013.

1. hulk2012 macrumors 6502

What are the advantages of retina display for a interface designer? Not sure wherever I should get MacBook Pro retina or non retina model. What are you thoughts and experience?

2. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

3. hulk2012 thread starter macrumors 6502

You clearly don't understand my question so I won't bother answering to yours...

4. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

You are cool.

Anyways, I just wanted to know if you had seen it in person. No need to get offended. Do you think think the Retina display will benefit your interface designing? I would personally recommend it, for the display alone. You haven't mentioned reasons why you were considering the non retina model. Budget? Upgradability? Optical Drive? What's important to you.

5. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

So rude.

1. Obviously, retina provides a higher resolution. Text and images are considerably sharper.

2. With retina displays, you can increase the workspace size. For 13", that means you can choose between 1280x800, 1440x900 and 1680x1050. For 15" you can choose between 1440x900, 1680x1050 and 1920x1200. This gives you more real estate, if required.

3. From this thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1530961:

"Beyond the obvious difference (the resolution) the display is also distinct from it's non-retina brother because it is an IPS display. As mentioned earlier, this offers the best viewing angles and color representation of nearly any current display technology in the consumer world. It is a significant improvement over the TN (Twisted Nematic) display found in the non-retina models. Colors will be sharper, brighter, and more accurate on the retina models. "

Any or all of those points may be advantages for an interface designer.

6. PDFierro macrumors 68040

He was just answering your question, no need to get mad. The Retina screen is a clear advantage. But you get upgrade-ability with the classic MBP, if that's what you desire.

7. ogi.nic macrumors member

Well, not considering the price:
    - Retsina:
    (+) Resolution, lighter, you look cool reading Facebook at Starbucks
    (-) No "user-upgradability" (RAM), No DVD-drive, No LAN port, only glossy display, some potential display issues

- Classic:
    (+) Matte display option, DVD-drive (you can swap it with a 2nd HDD), LAN-port, RAM upgradable
    (-) Resolution (not really for me), slightly heavier, you don't look cool at Starbucks

Guess which one I chose.

8. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

You clearly find looking cool in Starbucks quite important, so I'm quessing that you chose the Retina MBP.

Although for a strange reason, I still think you made a fine choice. A hi-res IPS display that covers the full sRGB color space was the reason I chose the same laptop, your own reason was probably just as valid and important to you as a good display was to me.

9. hulk2012 thread starter macrumors 6502

I do a lot of graphic design as well as photography. Budget is not important I just want the best tool possible but the same time don't want to waste money on something which won't much of a impact on my work.

----------

That's really helpful. But what display issue are u taking about?

----------

Please do not correct me. Correct or moralise urself if possible deal?

10. curiouspeter, Aug 10, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2013

curiouspeter macrumors newbie

The retina screen is easier on your eyes. It is more then resolution. The IPS display in the retina model offers superior contrast and viewing-angle.

I have a 15-inch rMBP for software development. Recently, I bought myself a 13-inch MBA for writing projects, but I returned it within a week. After seeing the retina screen I could no longer go back.

I'm deciding between a 13-inch rMBP now, or a Haswell 13-inch rMBP later. (I need portability and long battery life.)

One thing though. If you constantly need to view photos at 100% in PS or LR the pixels in the retina model may be a bit too small. I now have to zoom down to 200% for pixel-peeping.

The non-retina MBP is looking increasingly redundant. Who still needs a LAN port or a DVD drive in this day and age? I used to worry about upgradability, but chances are, you'll want a new computer in three years anyway.

Matte/glossy can be an issue. I prefer matte for coding and glossy for photo/UI.

11. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

if you need an upgradeable mac it is better to take the non retina. you can pay less at the beginning and then upgrade ram and ssd when you can. However retina is better to me cause it is smaller and lighter

12. old-wiz macrumors G3

Great way to annoy people who might otherwise help you.

13. ogi.nic macrumors member

Hehe, wrong, unless I missed the irony here ;)
    I work as much as possible outdoors, so a glossy screen is a no-go for me.

It's definitely a nice display (more the IPS part than the resolution); for "colour-critical work" however I'd prefer an external display (NEC/Eizo). In matte, of course.

----------

Just heard something about an "image retention issue" and quite some people here being picky about from which manufacturer (Samsung?/LG?) their screen is.

14. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

It seems you didn't miss it ;)

No question about that, for a lot of work a larger display with a wider gamut and/or better color precision is preferable. But even a fairly good and calibrated IPS screen is still a great thing to have on the road. And i don't see why having a usable laptop screen would rule out having a good screen on your desktop too.

I found the glossy surface to be a small price to pay for what I got in return, but that's my personal preference. And I've also found myself doing a lot of work on the rMBPs display instead of an external one.

This is something the OP might want to look into a bit more: The Ultimate rMBP Image Retention Test. How likely you are to run into these issues is impossible to judge from a forum discussion (might or might not be representive of all users, most likely not), but it's still something you should be aware.

That linked thread has not been active for a while, but MBP sales peak shortly after a new version is introduced, and then slowly come down again, so at least the number of complaints has some correlation with sales.

15. tadde macrumors newbie

Have you ever tried designing for high-res displays using a mbpc? It's a pain. Everything is so huge. Usually not a problem when you design in 1x but if u up the game to 2x (retina, xhdpi etc) you'll be happy you bought the retina mbp)

16. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

funny, you call yourself a designer yet you still ask whether there are advantages of retina display or not.

the rule of thumb is, if you can't see the difference then don't buy it ... get the cmbp

17. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Sharp, easily readable text.

Oh, the Retina models have far better cooling mechanisms in place - better fans, more air vents. t The non-Retina models don't.

Hate to say it, but my next MBP will likely be Retina. Especially if one can replace or add RAM on their own. I don't need to be nannied and I prefer freedom...

18. xxcysxx macrumors 6502

are you planning to use this laptop with an external monitor, keyboard and mouse when you're at home? because I do, at 2560x1440 resolution on a 27" monitor feels more refreshing than using 2880x1800 resolution on a 15".
    I have a 13" retina and 15" retina (gadget freak here), and while the screen clarity is gorgeous, that clarity gets old fast, for me at least. perhaps I work too much with it I hardly notice the screen clarity anymore, and I switched between the external monitor and the retina monitor daily and I hardly notice the shift in resolution clarity.

forget about the idea of higher pixel density or higher screen resolution equals more screen real estate. this idea is a bit misleading, and I have tried to cope with this idea for a while and also tried to be a believer in it, and I can genuinely confirm that it is more cumbersome to use the 15" retina in the so called "more screen real-estate" than in the slightly higher scaled resolution mode. the idea of more screen real-estate is that I can fit multiple windows on the same screen without over-laping them and still be able to read them comfortably to get my work done. over several weeks of bearing with the small texts and eye strains, i concluded that this idea of "more screen real-estate" on a 15" retina is ridiculous! there wasn't any feel of "more" to it, because everything was smaller! i had to bend my back to position my face a bit closer to the screen so I can reasonably read the small texts. i was actually working slower!

no matter how I tried to adjust the resolution to maximize screen real-estate, while maintaining efficient workflow, I'm was still trap in a 15" monitor. at the end of the day, a "more screen real-estate" monitor is the one that has a bigger screen. because I can fit more pages on the the same screen and i can sit straight to read the texts without pinching my eyes.

i write codes and essays all day, perhaps this is why I hardly notice the slight shift in screen resolution when i switch between the external monitor and the retina monitor. now, if your a graphic artists, might be a different story.

19. hulk2012 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes mr smart guy

20. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Do you want help here? Not a great idea to come on a forum asking for advice and then insult everyone everytime you make a post.

21. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

Dude you're not much for forum etiquette are you

22. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

No need to be rude... You can always buy retina MacBook Pro for test drive for 14 or 30 days then return it if you are not satify. Go with classic MBP. :apple:

23. ogi.nic macrumors member

Quite refreshing to hear some "objective arguments" for the Retsina (yes, I put the 's' in there on purpose; that's a greek wine which many ppl like but which gives me a headache ^^).

24. ka-spot macrumors 6502a

how you'll test your UI for retina if you don't have retina?

25. mac82 macrumors member

Somebody has to. Your parents clearly didn't. When people try to help you, try NOT acting like a brat.