Macbook Pro Retina Overcharge?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brandonhisey, Feb 27, 2013.

1. brandonhisey macrumors newbie

OK I have heard many things about leaving my computer plugged in. One said that Macs do not over charge another said that computer made after 2001 do not overcharge and shut charging of. This I know is untrue because I had a 2008 Sony Vaio and I left it plugged in and the battery would only hold a charge for 5 mins after the fact.

So are macs special? Do they stop charging after 100% and my Magsafe cord turn green? I don't want to worry about my battery.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Modern laptops, those made after about 1995, don't overcharge the battery. Your Vaio's battery only holds that much charge because its cells are severely degraded and thus it cannot hold a charge. Lithium cells get like that if you don't use them. Make sure you use your laptop as a portable device and not as a desktop computer.

3. brandonhisey thread starter macrumors newbie

Maybe overcharge is the wrong word...but having it pugged in sitting on my desk for like lets say a day...will that be problematic?

4. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Overcharge, no. But a LiPo battery such as the ones used in MacBooks has to be used to keep its functionality. Batteries don't 'like' to be either completely full or completely empty, and keeping them at either state for prolonged periods of time shortens their life drastically.

One full discharge a month minimum is recommended by Apple. Once a week is better.