MacBook pro retina overheating after.EFI UPDATE

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Persian-apple, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Persian-apple macrumors member

So I bought my rmbp 2month after it's release and no warranty. ! It worked smooth first day I bought it batman arkham city max Payne 3 there was no game that it couldn't play on high setting but suddenly after I updated EFI after a few days my Mac overhears fast really fast in 10secs my temps are 84 before update they were 74 after 2hours now it becomes unplayable osx mountain lion10.8.4 is my os with latest updates fully-removed windows part format macintosh HD and upgraded to MU. And nothing changed ! While playing chess I stat says 67C FOR. GPU AND 70 for GPU DIODE. Please help guys. There was another forum which was closed let's resume the discussion here and please help right now!,

2. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

those temps seem pretty normal infact below normal to me, my retina has gpu temps of 76c while gaming or doing some graphic intensive work, the cpu temperatures are around 84-94 during those intensive periods.
    Since you are experience apps hanging you should try reinstalling the operating system. Do a hardware test by holding 'D' as soon as you press the power button it will check if you have any hardware issues.

3. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

So, a mod closed the other thread because of misbehave. After you totally mess up a thread that was being helpful for others since forever, you open up another one, stating exactly the same and demanding help. Surprise surprise, you got a reply saying exactly what others (myself included) have said. Those temperatures are normal. Stop asking. It won't help you.

4. Neodym macrumors 65816

Neodym

Just for the records: On my rMBP i have already seen >100°C for CPU and/or GPU (can't remember exactly) while playing a game on an external screen while at the same time watching TV on the internal screen from a FireDTV connected via Thunderbolt -> Firewire adapter. And i had no problems whatsoever (except audible fans ;)).

So don't worry about those meager 84°C - there's still enough headroom... :p:D

5. cbs20 macrumors member

Temps are normal so stop asking. My retina reached 102-103 celsius the other day when compressing a video using Handbrake. All I did was turn up the fans using SMC fan control and it dropped below 100. Once completed it cooled off within 3 minutes back down to 50.

6. Neodym macrumors 65816

Neodym

When i went above 100°C, the machine itself would spin up the fans to cool down below 100 - SMC fan control was not required.