Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimmido

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2014
Hallo.

So my girlfriend have this macbook pro retina from mid 2012( Geforce 650m) and we are getting some performance problems. Actually we got it back from repair again today (2repairs concerning this throttling problems within the last 40 days ). Both times the logicboard was replaced on warranty. So when i booted it up again and tested it, then saw it was the same problem as before. I start thinking that the problem might be me? that there really aint any hardware related problems, and its normal behavior?

so lets get down to the problem

It seems the graphic card i throttling quit a bit when she's running any kind of graphic demanding applications. But its hard to see, becuase i dont know any programs for OSX to show realtime GPU Clock/Throttle.

So i installed windows 7 on bootcamp to start my testings.

When i run heaven benchmark the tempature reach 90 degrees celcius in like 10 sec, and the fans start kicking in at 100%. when the temp get that high the GPU clock throttles from 900 Mhz, til around 580, and the memoryclock drops from 2000+ to 780 Mhz.

Can i get any feedback on this? mayby some have same model and you can run heaven bench in OSX and we can share results to see score and such? compare temps? Any feedback is welcome, to see if we have to send it in again.

That be said the computer is placed on laptop cooler, so hot air should leave just find.

Any comments/ideas/feedback will be appriciated.

Abd sorry for the bad english.

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
I just ran Heaven Benchmark in Windows 8.1 on my mid 2012 rMBP.
Whilst it was running (about 10 minutes or so) the FPS often dropped to about 6 or 7 and the images appeared choppy.
The temp briefly touched 80 degrees but quickly settled to 75. Later on it rose to 76 or 77 and then towards the end it dropped to 73.
Some frame rates were better - at 12 or so.

During the whole test the memory speed never changed from 2508 MHz on mine.

As you will see from the thread linked to previously I had a new logic board AND a new heatsink due to throttling problems (cpu, not gpu).

Not being an expert in benchmarking I don't really know anything else to say.
Hope it's helpful to you.

jimmido

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2014
Thanks for your replies. I tried installing a game last night, to see how affected it Would be from this Throttling problem. The game started out just find, getting 120 fps, but after 5 sec it started dropping. And within the next 10 sec the Speed on the gpu and vram dropped and the fps dropped to 45. Just standing still in the game. The picture wasent even changing. So i guess this calls for another RMA.im just not willing to accept that. Too expensive at computer to perform at that lvl.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.