Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tek9designs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
Just upgraded to a retina display with the new 2013 13" Macbook Pro... However, now using Photoshop, scrolling in the canvas creates a vicious flicker. Its almost unusable.

I saw that the Macbook Air had a similar problem and they eventually released a patch to fix it... but I'm concerned it might take a while. Seeing as how I do this for a living, I need to make sure its universal and not just my machine.

Does anyone else with a 2013 Macbook Pro have flicker issues in Photoshop?

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
I won't have mine until Wednesday but I will be putting both CS5 & 6 on it because I feel 6 has been kind of buggy on all my machines.

What setup are you running, ram, version of PS, etc...?

tek9designs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
I had a mistake during my order and it shipped before I could cancel. So I have the entry level 2.4 i5 w 4gb ram and this is happening with Photoshop CC. I have my true i7 w 16gb ram on the way so I will know Wednesday if it's just my computer or a gpu issue.

tek9designs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
I think I just accidentally figured out why this is happening...

I went to play a YouTube song in Chrome in the background, while working on Photoshop, and then I opened a new tab and went back to Photoshop. Works fine.

I went back to Chrome to play a new video, then when I went back to Photoshop I noticed the flickering happening again. This time, the Chrome YouTube video was the top tab. Flickering.

I switched tabs so the YouTube video wasn't on top, went back to Photoshop... works fine no flickering.

So I imagine whatever Adobe Flash GPU usage is conflicting with Adobe Photoshop GPU usage. Causing the flicker. I can clearly see the flickering Chrome window outline which was smaller than my Photoshop canvas.

Go figure.

jordygreen

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
London, UK
I think I just accidentally figured out why this is happening...

I went to play a YouTube song in Chrome in the background, while working on Photoshop, and then I opened a new tab and went back to Photoshop. Works fine.

I went back to Chrome to play a new video, then when I went back to Photoshop I noticed the flickering happening again. This time, the Chrome YouTube video was the top tab. Flickering.

I switched tabs so the YouTube video wasn't on top, went back to Photoshop... works fine no flickering.

So I imagine whatever Adobe Flash GPU usage is conflicting with Adobe Photoshop GPU usage. Causing the flicker. I can clearly see the flickering Chrome window outline which was smaller than my Photoshop canvas.

Go figure.

I'm currently having this problem but only when I plug my rMBP into an external monitor. Did you come to resolve this at all?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.