MacBook Pro Retina pink screen tint/pink apple logo

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by david401, Dec 30, 2013.

1. david401 macrumors member

So I decided to take the plunge and pick up the highest end 15 inch with the dGPU, despite reading about problems for months on these forums. Well, I've had it for about a week or so and honestly, I probably wouldn't have even noticed if I wasn't on this forum but the display has a slight pink tint to it, the right side a bit more than the left. You can tell a tiny bit when you compare the left and right but it's only when you set it up beside other displays that you can really see it. The apple logo has a slight pink tint as well. Now, should I return for another one? Or do you think I'd be best off keeping this one, I don't want to be stuck in an exchange loop where the screen gets worse every time.

2. Shmanky macrumors regular

What other displays did you compare it to? Did you compare it to another 15" Retina MacBook Pro? Is yours yellow or just pink? Does it depend on the lighting in the room?

3. david401 thread starter macrumors member

I compared it to my iMac. I believe it's pretty accurate. I had the screen replaced a few months ago for IR issues. I'm a freelance editor and the colours in my work have always looked the way they're supposed to. The whites look like actual white and everything. When I'm not comparing the macbook to other screens, the whites looks decently white but the right side it a bit pinkish. When setting it beside the iMac it starts to look a bit darker and yellowish. This doesn't really change with lighting.

Picture:
    http://i.imgur.com/c2huM8C.jpg

Edit: Forgot to mention that I did an IR test on the macbook, everything looks good. It's not so much the yellowish/darker tone of the screen that bothers me, it's more the slight pink on the right side. Do you think I can do better in terms of screen, or did I get lucky with this one? Like I said, I don't wanna be stuck in an exchange loop.

4. Shmanky macrumors regular

It would be nice to see a photograph with standard UI controls like the Finder or Safari instead of the white bars.

5. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Most of the newer LG (SJA2) screens have a pinkish logo.

Have you tried calibrating the screen?

6. p223w macrumors newbie

I have the same issue with the right-side of the display having a pink tint. This is my second screen replacement. The screen is perfect except for the pink tint. First screen was swapped for IR, second screen was yellowish. I've been talking to AppleCare but they no longer answer my emails.

7. Jack Sun macrumors member

lol...

8. Shift Option K macrumors regular

Shift Option K

If I get an rMBP with this, I will get the screen fixed but keep the pink  and give it to my girlfriend (don't all girls want a pink ?). Lol JK (unless my GF actually would like/want)

9. david401 thread starter macrumors member

Have you tried going back to the apple store for another one? I think I'm gonna bring mine in tomorrow for a possible exchange. I'll open the new one on the spot to check it. It's too expensive to have these kind of screen issues. Especially for what i use it for. They advertise it on their site as being able to be used as a computer that a photo studio can be built around. It has to have accurate colour for that. I tried calibrating it but it either gets more yellow or more blue with the pink tint still there.

10. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

The annoying thing is that they're an inherent part of lcd technology. Some brands did produce better quality panels, but they basically got out of these lower margin markets. Perhaps Sharp will offer some improvement.

Calibration is a very limited process on most displays. I don't recall seeing that on the site. In fact I would never suggest ANY display with an Apple logo for that purpose unless an external display is cost prohibitive. Accuracy in general is somewhat of a pipeline. You have to get your screen to match whatever outputs under controlled lighting, so it's not as simple as just calibrate and be done with it if you are really picky. This is a case of where Apple has a lot of room for improvement in terms of what they add to whatever LG gives them.

Also the added expense of that discrete gpu is wasted on a photo studio, unless you really wanted the extra bit of cpu power too. Maybe one day we'll see a proliferation of OpenCL, but in that regard the Iris Pro shouldn't be much of a step down. It has to rely on slower ram, but it does well in terms of computation.

11. david401 thread starter macrumors member

Here's a screenshot of the paragraph about the photo studio.

http://i.imgur.com/PvuhH7W.jpg

It should be noted that I'm a video editor, so I needed the dGPU. I just referenced the photo studio thing because it's similar in terms of needing an accurate display. If this really is a huge issue with all Apple's displays maybe I'll keep it in fear of getting a worse display one or two more times and them not replacing it. I do plan on bringing it in though just for comparison to their others and to ask them about it. I just had a business account created when I bought this one so maybe I'll get better support. I've never had any of these issues with other computers from them, they generally seem to be pretty accurate. I've owned two other MacBooks and one other iMac before this one.

12. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Ahh here's my third attempt to write a good response. Anyway I should let you know that screenshots don't show anything in terms of uniformity issues. They are just a profiled drawing of what is being fed to the screen. A photo would be more helpful.

I could go on forever about differences in calibration and display types and pretty much everything else off topic. I keep doing so and deleting it, as it drifts away from being helpful. They aren't as consistent as I would like, but I suspect there's a reason you need a notebook. In my opinion you can get much better displays from desktop types if you buy the right one. Calibration is always a bit awkward, because it relies on a very old method where the sensor builds a rough idea of the response and gamut of the display and generates a profile that makes corrections pre-framebuffer and supplies a description to color managed applications (most of them these days). The only advice I can offer there for your notebook is allow 30-45 minutes of warmup time, make sure it's plugged in at the wall, disable graphics switching just in case, and disable any power savings functions. I would start with native on gamma and color temp and take note of its final reading. If it's close to D65 gamma 2.2, stick with native. In terms of accuracy, a good rmbp display has a gamut similar to sRGB. You can't really change that. If you can get to that point and it's uniform, that is a good unit. Other threads suggest it really is a lottery though.

Anyway in the end if it was me, I would exchange if I wasn't happy with it. I merely point out that the variation is in the nature of the product.

13. david401 thread starter macrumors member

So I did end up exchanging it, there still seems to be a slight bit of pink tint to it, but its better than before and it seems to be completely uniform. Where as the other one had a bit of a gradient to it. I'm gonna keep this one. I don't feel like going back for another one. I could probably correct for the pink eventually anyway with one of the calibrators that are available. I also tested for IR before I left the mall, none to be seen. Tried it twice and everything looks good. I'm happy I got it switched out, even though its not perfect.

14. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I think that's wise. They all shift over time, so looks perfectly neutral out of the box is not the same as looks that way later. I've also never seen a display, including $2000+ displays that looked 100% spot on out of the box. I use an i1 display pro, and it works well enough on my cMBP. It works quite well on the Eizo. Part of that lack of neutrality may be that the colorlcd profile that Apple bundles isn't typically perfect. I would start off setting things to native where available, such as gamma and white point temperature. If it's way off D65 gamma 2.2 (similar to sRGB which is I think 2.3), then stick with that. The uniformity is one of the most important things, because it messes with the way you see frames in a subtle manner. I hope this one works out well for you.