Macbook Pro Retina Poor Windos Graphics Performance

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fourlex, Sep 30, 2012.

1. fourlex, Sep 30, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2012

fourlex macrumors newbie

I've had windows in installed on my Macbook Retina ever since I first got it just for running games. I was getting decent fps in Just Cause 2, Battlefield 3 and Skyrim running on high settings at 1920 x 1200 resolutions (30-50 fps) just a few days ago, I logged onto Battlefield 3 to find that I was getting less than 10. This has happened to all of these windows games. I have tried updating and downgrading the graphics card driver, windows 7 32 bit, windows 7 64 bit and windows 8 64 bit. After reinstalling Windows and re downloading all of the games, it apears it must be some kind of hardware issue. For battlefield 3 to be playable I now have to use the 480 x 720 resolution and low settings which is kind of pathetic. I think that the mac os graphics performance hasn't changed. This is only playing Amnesia and tf2 though because the only other game that I own on mac osx (Portal 2) has some bug where it wont open. Is it possible that windows is only using the intel 400 series graphics chip for some reason? This is the only thing that I can think of even thouhg it seems highly unlickly as windows does not support mac's graphics switching and doesn't even have the driver installed. Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

2. tu4thenguyen macrumors member

Sorry OP. I'm assuming you're taking about bootcamp?

3. alyshehata macrumors member

Click on the battery icon in the task bar. Choose "High Performace" plug it in a charger, and play on whatever settings (as long as it's not too high)

You're welcome ;)

4. fourlex thread starter macrumors newbie

5. rdy macrumors newbie

I've got the same problem - i've checked cinebench benhmark for my computer and it shows less than half compared to the one in this movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVniAF9I99o

Mine is 2.3 and 8gb ram.

My result in cinebench both in Windows and OSX is around 15.9 fps and 6.07 cpu.

Can you check what is yours?

6. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

you could have searched for the answer, reset the smc, if the problem persists reset the smc

7. tninety macrumors regular

Download MSI Afterburner and check your clock speeds.

Mine was stuck throttled to some very slow clock speed until I reset the PRAM and SMC, on the latest EFI firmware update, even if I manually overclocked it.

8. rdy macrumors newbie

That totally worked - thanks for help!
    Now Cinebench is showing ~ 35 fps and Battlefield is running at > 40 fps @ 1600x900 and auto settings (mid/high).

So when your Macbook Pro Retina suddenly works really slow (sub 20 fps) while running games such as Battlefield 3 etc a pram and smc reset is the cure!

I still had to send my MBR to service due to badpixels on the screen, but I'm glad that GPU is ok!

Thanks again!

9. Junkyman macrumors regular

I had the same issues and a PRAM and SMC reset did the trick for me, too.

However, does anyone know what causes the issue? I was hoping this "bug" was only a one time thing, but it returned on Saturday again. Is the "bug" hardware or software related? I don't want to reset my SMC and PRAM every now and then just to make sure my rMBP performs the way it's supposed to perform...:rolleyes:

10. Malfunkt macrumors newbie

Wow. MacBook Retina is running better than it has since I got it.

Noticed today that playing Battlefield on low/medium settings it had dropped to around 20fps whereas it had been running at 50+.

Updated the Nvidia drivers. Still same issues. Reset PRAM. No effect. Reset SMC. Huge performance boost.

I can even run on Ultra resolutions at 30 fps (1280 x 768). Seems to play great at around med-high, at around 60+ fps. Overall, the video card is performing better than it ever has.

Every game used to stutter or skip somewhat, and now everything runs smoothly. Perhaps this was the driver upgrade.

Anyhow, its like having a new machine.