MacBook Pro Retina potential problems?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mikatz, Dec 26, 2013.

1. mikatz macrumors newbie

I have decided to buy MacBook Pro for the first time, well, actually a Mac computer for the first time. I have been on Windows PC for years and i am fed up with it. At first i thought mac mini will be the best solution but i decided to go with MacBook Pro retina because of portability. My questions as first time user in need of advice are:
    1. How reliable is MacBook Pro retina...i know that almost everything is soldered to the board except SSD. What happens if RAM dies and warranty has expired. It's non replaceable? And battery too, what to do when it dies or becomes weak or any other non replaceable part break? Am i destined to drop it in trash after these happen?​

2. Is it possible to extend warranty after it expires with Mac computers or is it not? Is it apple care or can i extend regular warranty, and if i can how many times can i do that? ​

3. And final one. I need my computer to work all day non stop. Can MacBook handle it. I intend to use it with my monitor at home when i am not outside ​

I know that these questions seem stupid to most of you but you have to understand that this is big investment for me and i need to know what am i getting myself in to as first time mac user. Is the answer to all these questions "It's the way it is...deal with it" or you have some advice for me, from your personal experience?

2. Miloh, Dec 26, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2013

Miloh macrumors newbie

1) Macbook Pros are generally solid products, if there are reliability issues they usually manifest themselves within the first year or shortly after that, which is why AppleCare is generally recommended.

Since the components are indeed soldered on to the board, if the RAM dies for example, you would have to go to Apple to have it fixed, and if you're out of warranty...well you'll be paying through the nose for replacement parts, if you get AppleCare, by the time your machine does come out of warranty and does encounter hardware failure chances are that by the time this happens the newer machines run circles around the one you have, and its much cheaper to just get a new one.

This doesn't mean throw it away after two or three years (that's stupid), it means that if you get 5, 6, 7 years out of the system (which isn't unheard of, it more common than people think) then it doesn't make sense to try and save it when it does croak. Its gonna be a dinosaur next to the newer Macs or whatever comes out in 6 years, you'd be better served by just getting a new one at that point.

The most common recommendation you'll hear from people to extend the life of the notebook's performance is to spec it out as much as you can since you can't upgrade anything besides the SSD after purchase, so if you can afford the 16GB RAM upgrade, even if its overkill, it may be a good idea to do so, the same with storage. It really depends on what you are doing with it and what you expect to be doing in the near future with it, and your budget.

I personally went with 256GB SSD and 8GB, I don't need huge local storage on this thing as I've got a big tower with terabytes of storage for that purpose. The same idea for the RAM, I'm not going to be running multiple VMs, and I'm certainly not gonna run Final Cut Pro, Photoshop and Dreamweaver at the same time. Plus OS X Mavericks stretches the 8GB pretty far before yielding to the swapfile thanks to Memory Compression. As always YMMV.

I also think people are being a little too paranoid when it comes to the soldered components, as if because the components aren't user serviceable anymore they magically become more fragile and can break at any moment. Before this MacBook Pro I had a crappy Acer laptop for 7 years that was user serviceable, I never upgraded a single component and it ran without any issues whatsoever. (Aside from having really really crappy performance, but that's to be expected from a bargain basement Walmart computer.)

2) AppleCare extends the warranty an additional two years after the purchase date, so you get 3 years of coverage. You have one year from the purchase date to add on AppleCare. You cannot extend the warranty, so after 3 years your Mac enters the wilderness. If you take good care of your computer, it will last you as long as any other well cared for machine.

3) The MacBook Pro most certainly can handle all day usage, they might be (slightly) more expensive than a similarly specced PC, but they aren't dainty machines. Despite what others will tell you, Intel's Iris Graphics are no slouch, it performs quite well. The days of crappy Intel Integrated graphics are long gone.

You can attach it to your monitor via Thunderbolt to DVI adapters or HDMI.

Finally if you do encounter issues while under the warranty that you can't seem to fix, don't be afraid to just go to the Apple Store and have the Geniuses take a look at it, take advantage of AppleCare while you still can. Of course back up your Mac beforehand, just in case.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Most laptops have the majority of components soldered onto the logic board though the rMBP takes it to a higher level. My 2012 rMBP has been a rock solid performer and I have no complaints.

You can buy AppleCare (be sure to purchase it before the 1 year anniversary of your laptop) and that will extend the warranty by 2 years so that will give you more peace of mind. There's other products available like from squretrade as well

My rMBP has been on 90% of the time I've owned it, day and night and its still rocking. I'd say since it lacks any true mechanical components, i.e., no hard drive, there's little risk to leaving it on and having it "wear out" I set the display to go to sleep so I do preserve that

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I bought Applecare at time of purchase, but my 13" rMBP has performed flawlessly and I have had no issues at all. I do recommend AC though...not only does it give you extra warranty, it also adds to the re-sale value of the Mac should you wish to sell it and upgrade.

5. qawsed macrumors regular

Basically you have no worries. Get Applecare to extend the warranty to 3 years. The computer is well capable of being on 24/7 if necessary.