MacBook Pro Retina purchase

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DIMEZ, Nov 11, 2012.

1. DIMEZ macrumors 6502a

DIMEZ

I am about t purchase a Rmbp but not sure what i should go for. I do alot of photo editing with Aperture . Heavy photoshop use. Pro Tools and logic. I plan to start using Final cut. The question is do i got with 2.3ghz or 2.6. I plan to get 16gb of ram. Any Help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

I own the 2.3 Ghz base model (8GB RAM), and haven't had any issues running the programs you mentioned, so if you're looking at 16GB RAM your results should be better than mine. As for which processor to get, that's something you'd have to decide - is the extra 300 MHz worth the additional cost to you?

3. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

The extra processor speed will most likely be unnoticeable. I'd save my money and stick with the 2.3 GHz.

4. stevelam macrumors 65816

Photoshop, pro tools and logic aren't retina friendly. I doubt pro tools will ever be updated for hidpi. Have fun working with blurry UI.

5. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

As our only computers, with good support for photography, we went with maxed 15" rMBPs. They have the resources, CPU and memory, for good performance now and throughout the rest of their lifespan (at least the 3 years of apple care). The large SSDS gives plenty of space for raw file collection during a multiweek trip. In the field we do initial culling and editing. Back home after finishing the editing on a large calibrated monitor, the photos are moved via LR to the main library on external drives. That frees up SSD space for the next trip.

6. DIMEZ thread starter macrumors 6502a

DIMEZ

thanks for all the feedback..i wont mast out the ssd. I will do it later

stil on the wall about 2.3 or 2.6...

7. kgs macrumors regular

I buy my computers to last as long as possible. I went with the 2.6ghz/16gig/512gb option.

It has served me well so far.

8. duffer6 macrumors 6502

Go with the 2.6 and 16 gb if money is not a factor. The jump from 2.3 to 2.6 is only $100. In the grand scheme of things not much cost there but the true value proposition is increasing the ram to 16 gb. Don't think twice about this since the ram is not user upgradeable spend the dough and enjoy your machine for maybe a extra year or two. Ram is the cheapest and most effective performance upgrade for any computer. Always has been and always will be.

9. DIMEZ thread starter macrumors 6502a

DIMEZ

yeah I think i should just to get the 2.6 and the 16gb... I will feel comfortable in that choice and later upgrade the ssd.

10. duffer6 macrumors 6502

Exactly, OWC has SSD upgrades that hopefully will come down in cost.

11. redshovel macrumors 6502

redshovel

I went for this configuration too. It's just been dispatched and I only hope it's got a Samsung screen otherwise I might just scream!

12. jas07, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2012

jas07 macrumors regular

jas07

I went for that too, out if interest, when did you order as mine is still "processing"' I want my new toy! :p

13. redshovel macrumors 6502

redshovel

I ordered mine on the 6th Nov with a shipping date of 1 -3 days with delivery between 13th & 15th.

Then on 9th Nov I got the following email from apple:

''The demand for the product you ordered has been higher than anticipated. We are shipping as quickly as possible, but cannot meet the dispatch date we previously estimated for you. We now expect to dispatch your order by 12.11.2012.
    We estimate that it will be delivered to your shipping address on or before 16.11.2012.''

Checked earlier and its marked as dispatched today with export scan complete.

14. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Just be aware that you'll void the warranty if you upgrade the flash storage. Apple specifies that there are no user-serviceable parts in the rMBP.

15. Mac-Tech macrumors regular

Mac-Tech

If you plan on keeping your Mac Book Pro Retina I would go with:

2.7GHz | 16GB | 768GB

16. GrandPhrase macrumors 6502

I thought Logic was updated for retina.. Maybe it's because I wasn't wearing my glasses in store checking it out..

17. redshovel macrumors 6502

redshovel

Never once in all my years and ownership of many laptops have I ever upgraded one! At the time when they have needed so its always been more viable to sell and buy a new one!

18. jas07 macrumors regular

jas07

Thanks buddy, ordered mine on Friday Night (9th) with 1-3 days delivery too, obviously business days, will sit tight, just gives me a rough idea where they are at with dispatch times etc! Appreciate it.

19. SuX0rz macrumors member

I do this with all of my Apple products. Sell right before the next model comes out and usually I only have to pay a few hundred dollars to upgrade to the latest and greatest.

20. DIMEZ thread starter macrumors 6502a

DIMEZ

I always do this and always enedd up selling it..I just like upgrading parts..its pretty fun..did that with my iMac..Somtimes its cost effective. Much more cheaper than apple sells for.

----------

to expensive for me. I also have a desktop so more than needed.

----------

I heard it doesn't void it unless you some way damage it?

21. switon, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012

switon macrumors 6502a

RE: sound/video/photo editing...

Hi,

In my experience, sound/video/photo editing are CPU intensive, and bound, tasks, so faster CPUs with larger cache memories tend to make shorter work of these editing tasks. So, it all depends upon what your time is worth? One way to look at it is: Is the 13% speed increase (11% time savings) worth $100 to you over the life (3 yrs maybe) of the computer?

Switon

P.S. That $100 spread over 11% of 3 years of computer work makes it look like pennies (or fractions thereof depending on how much you actually use your computer doing editing) per hour of your time. I can't imagine that your time is not worth more than that.