MacBook Pro Retina question...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PortableLover, Sep 17, 2012.

1. PortableLover macrumors 6502a

Hey there, wanted to ask a few questions about the rMBP...

Does anyone here design and render 3d models on the rMBP, how do you find the render times on the rMBP and how detailed are the said models.

Does anyone here do game design with the rMBP? How fast is it?

My biggest gripe with the rMBP, is the lack of a workstation card, however the GT 650M is overclocked within, which may give a nice boost in speed over a normal gt 650m..

Thanks for your help..

2. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

I'd second that question.

BTW, is it confirmed that the overclocked 650M is superior compared to the regular one within the cMBP when used in clamshell mode?

3. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

While I don't perform the tasks you specifically mentioned, I can comment that the performance of this machine is very, very good.

I feel that the vastly improved thermal design of the MacBook Pro with Retina display (i.e. the intake vents and sculpted air channels within) helps it to perform at peak levels over extended periods of time, whereas the old design would overheat and throttle its clock speeds.

Despite what others might claim, I know (from experience of pushing the early-2011 15.4" to its limits with video encoding and intensive gaming) that the older design really struggles with the heat production of the quad-core i7 CPUs and dedicated graphics.

I realise that the 2012 classic MacBook Pro contains parts that produce less heat than the 2011 models, but I'm sure that the MacBook Pro with Retina display still wins with its aforementioned improved thermals.

On a side note, bear in mind that the GPU overclocking that you mentioned may be simply to help compensate for the extremely high resolution of the display. I hadn't actually heard of this apparent overclocking, so I'm interested to know where you heard it!

4. PortableLover thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. twietee, Sep 17, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2012

twietee macrumors 603

twietee

I think it's save to say that this is the reason, but I'm curious if used in clamshell mode, so the retina-display doesn't need to be powered, one benefits compared to the cMBP. Hope you understand what I'm saying.

edit: sorry for OT, and thank's for the link PortableLover. Haven't seen your second post before.

6. PortableLover thread starter macrumors 6502a

MarcBook i assume you do video tasks on the mbp how are your render times, I will be using my next laptop for video work as well.