MacBook Pro Retina question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrmarts, Feb 22, 2013.

1. mrmarts macrumors 65816

Hey all

I just got a leather desk mat for my glass desk and would like to know if it is safe to place my retina macbook on it, without it overheating.

2. KimHansenDK macrumors 6502

Sure you can.

The cooling system has been redesigned on the rMBP. It works really well, so no worries :)

3. mrmarts thread starter macrumors 65816

Sweet thanks for the feedback since Apple told me last year that its not good to keep a macbook on your lap i have been cautious about how I treat it.

4. Hungry&Foolish Suspended

I am using right now in my bed. Enjoy your Mac,don't over think it.

5. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

never have it in your lap when gaming cause it Will get extremely hot trust me you Will feel it

6. SlickShoes macrumors 6502a

Been gaming for years with macbooks on my lap and it is fine if you have a speck case as it absorbs a fair bit of the heat.

Saying you can't use laptops on your lap is a load of rubbish, the only thing likely to cause problems is if you wear that much baggy clothes that you block all the air escaping from the laptop, the chance of that happening is pretty slim.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I use my MacBook Pro on my bed all the time, I've never had any issues.

I've used those leather desk mats as well and never had problems either.

8. tivoboy macrumors 68030

proper ventilation

You do need to make sure it gets proper ventilation. What sometimes happens is people put it on the lap, on a blanket or pillow or something and that pretty much plugs up the backside vents. THAT is not going since the hot air has no easy place to go. So, make sure there is SOME space underneath and you are fine.

Also, the foot plugs are pretty good sized, so the metal won't scratch the surface of your desk.

9. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

Yeah I use it on my bed/lap all the time, no problems whatsoever.

10. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Apple Care will cover any problems that could stem from that assuming you have it. I'm using mine sitting on my bed right now, if it overheats screw it, I'll take it back.

Just enjoy the thing, you certainly paid enough money for it!