MacBook Pro Retina Randomly Turns up the Fan

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xPurpleblob, Nov 24, 2012.

1. xPurpleblob, Nov 24, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2012

xPurpleblob macrumors regular

Well this is a replacement model I got and this one seems really strange. As soon as I set up it for the first time, maybe like 20 minutes later, it started to rev up is fan system to about 4500 RPM. So then I installed a few updates, installed the programs I needed and restarted the computer. It made the sound once every
    45 minutes, and the CPU was using 14% even though the only program on was... nothing...

After I restarted the SMC, it didn't make the sound for about another I don't know 6 hours? I was just using it to listen to Spotify while reading a book. But all of a sudden when I opened iTunes and got bored of reading and started to just watch a simple iTune key note, it decides to rev up its fan again to about 4900 RPM when the temperature was only at 45~47 C.

By the way the laptop rev's up is fan and then comes back down about after 10 seconds.

Is this normal? I never noticed any of my previous MacBook's revving up is fan under 60 C.

Alos, I don't know if it's important to mention, but the laptop got the color wheel in safari when it wwas opened up in a new pane two times which wouldn't stop until I force quitted Safari.

2. Dyno-Mike macrumors regular

You mention the CPU temperature was low but it could of been the GPU that was running a little hotter causing the fans to come on. What was the GPU temperature when this was happening?

3. xPurpleblob thread starter macrumors regular

GPU ran at about 37~41

The only time a part was in a outlier was the 51 degree CPU 2.
    And that was just one case. It ran average at about 47

----------

Ok this is really pissing me off, it just ran the fans again.

4. TofSanity macrumors 6502a

TofSanity

purchased mine last night and when it's sitting idle the fans start to sound like a jet engine ok maybe not that loud but pretty loud. how do i check the temps?

5. xPurpleblob, Nov 24, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2012

xPurpleblob thread starter macrumors regular

iStat Pro

Also, does anyone know if you have to pay the extra 100 dollars if you bought the item on Black Friday, and you're exchanging it for the same model??

6. xPurpleblob thread starter macrumors regular

It just went up to 5100 Rpm, while watching a youtube video...

7. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

That's normal. Flash is very CPU-heavy, so the fans will spin up. Even if you're using HTML5, it's not exactly a light load if you're watching 720p+ video.

8. xPurpleblob thread starter macrumors regular

It's not just that, it turns on the fan even though sometimes its idle.

9. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Yes, I know, that's why you made thread. I was simply addressing your YouTube point, not anything else.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's possible you have another process consuming system resources. Follow every step of the following instructions precisely. Do not skip any steps.
    1. Launch Activity Monitor
    2. Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
    3. Click on the "% CPU" column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top).
      (If that column isn't visible, right-click on the column headings and check it, NOT "CPU Time")
    4. Click on the System Memory tab at the bottom.
    5. Take a screen shot of the entire Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
    6. Post your screenshots.

The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat. CPU Tjmax = 105C (221F), GPU Tjmax = 100C (212F) on i3, i5, i7 processors. (Source: Intel)

If you're not already using it, iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) will give you accurate readings of your temps and fan speeds, among other things.

Unless there is a rare defect in a Mac, most temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload being put on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.

It is also quite normal for your Mac to become extremely hot to the touch during intensive operations. The aluminum body transfers heat more effectively than other materials used in computer casings, so you will feel the heat more. This doesn't indicate that it's overheating and will not harm the computer to be hot to the touch.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). iMacs have 3 fans with minimum speeds in the 800-1200 range. They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level.

If your fans are spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC.
    (PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help.)

The intake and exhaust vents are in the back of the computer near the hinge on all Mac notebooks (except the new MBP with retina display, which has intake vents along the sides at the bottom). The iMac vent is a slot on the back near the top of the computer. Make sure the vents remain unblocked to allow your computer to perform at its best.

Learn about the fans in your Mac
    Apple Portables: Operating temperature

For Flash-related issues:

11. xPurpleblob thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the help, but I already read this on other threads and was no help.

12. TofSanity macrumors 6502a

TofSanity

not sure, but let us know if you find out. i am thinking of returning this one for more RAM. it's basically a loner until the iMac comes out, but i am thinking i like this more than my old iMac. even with the loud fan noise, which hasn't happened in the last 8 hours...

13. xPurpleblob thread starter macrumors regular

They said if you are exchanging it, they will just swap it out at no cost.
    According to my store that is. When I contacted the support line they said it was up to the store manager.

14. TofSanity macrumors 6502a

TofSanity

i was just chatting online and they said no, but i am wanting to move to 16GB, oh well, need the RAM

15. xPurpleblob thread starter macrumors regular

Wait I don't think I understood your situation...
    I bought this computer yesterday which was Black Friday, got 100 dollars off... was curious if I had to pay 100 dollars more to exchange it at a future date.
    Apparently, I don't.

16. TofSanity macrumors 6502a

TofSanity

same situation...i bought mine yesterday too. just thought by chance maybe just maybe i could still get my discount from my current rMBP. if i bought the same setup but with 16GB of RAM

so, back to your OP, anything help with the fan? mine was pretty crazy this morning in idle. it would just run every two hours at about 5000rpms for about 2 minutes, it did this four separate times

17. xPurpleblob thread starter macrumors regular

I think I'm going to wait a little and see how this workouts in the end... Since the return period is still at January 2nd because of the holiday return period.

Also, are you sure they said no to your exchange? Why would you have to pay 100 dollars more for the same product?

18. TofSanity macrumors 6502a

TofSanity

Because i purchased the base 15" rMBP with 8GB RAM. i sold my iMac five weeks ago and became impatient with not having anything but my iPad for computing. so, my original thought was to purchase the retina, due to the extended return period. my local Apple store only sells base model Mac products for some reason, so i purchased with 15" rMBP 8GB to get me by until the 27" iMacs come out (the Apple rep actually said to go this route lol). once i got this home i completely fell for the retina display... now the RAM is too low or something is wrong with the laptop, besides the random speedy noisy fans i am dropping to about 225 mb of RAM with just iTunes updating my iMatch...odd

so, that's my story

19. xPurpleblob thread starter macrumors regular

20. weslebsack macrumors newbie

iCloud is causing CPU to overheat and fans to run at full speed

I've had the same issue for awhile now, and I figured out what caused it: iCloud's Documents and Data and Photos syncing are causing the Mac's CPU to overheat and run the fans--even if the computer isn't doing anything taxing. By disabling those two services, my fans instantly turned off, and the Mac has been buttery smooth since.

I'm guessing that they're constantly pinging the servers, similar to how DropBox decreases battery life. The issue is even apparent in the Yosemite Public Beta.