Macbook Pro Retina screen impression, will applecare replace?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marddin, Mar 21, 2013.

1. marddin macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I have Mid 2012 Macbook pro Retina which I am in absolute love with. I baby this thing to the n'th degree. Carbon skin on the bottom, sleeve, and padded backpack. I also carry a radtech cloth to keep the screen clean at all times.

So like I said I haven't had a single problem with my computer until now. While designing I noticed a spot on my screen that looked different from the rest. When a solid color is behind it is is very noticeable and now I can't un-see it :( The best way I can explain is it is a noticeable white spot on the screen.

I've had applecare since the beginning. Do you think they will accept this as a defect and replace the screen because this is quite annoying. Thanks all for your suggestions and comments.

[​IMG]
    Sorry for the terrible picture quality but it's the best I could do to show the issue.

Martin.

2. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

3. NostalgiaLane macrumors newbie

I've got three of these 'mura spots' aswell as terrible IR. Will be going to the apple store soon.

4. marddin thread starter macrumors 6502

Swerve, I really appreciate your post. I read that entire article and I'm definitely going to give apple care a call. Thanks again for your comment!

Anybody else want to share their experience with applecare or the apple store regarding these Mura spots?
    Thanks all!

5. Quazimojo macrumors regular

Quazimojo

I had 2 of those spots towards the bottom left corner. Along with Image retention and the whole left corner of my screen having severe bleed.

I took it in the Genius bar on Monday to see what they would say and i was told that all those issues were normal......

The genius and myself went back and forth for abit because of the terrible way they test image retention being at the end the screen go's black and the genius telling me he cant see anything ?? Well between all the light in the Apple store and the screen going black i cannot image how anyone could see anything under those conditions .

In the end after some seriously disappointed looks on my face and the genius realizing i was not going to take NO for an answer he said " I can replace it if you really want me too but cannot guarantee the next panel will not have all these issues or more, plus i cannot tell if you will be getting a Samsung or LG screen.

Picked it up Wednesday with a Samsung screen installed that has not one of the issues my LG above had.

Moral of the story is if you are going in to ask for a screen replacement be very prepared for a lot of resistance on the Genius end of your visit. That is not a guarantee all of them will be that way but yes be prepared to be turned away or have to put a small argument on your end to get what you came in for.

6. marddin, Mar 21, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2013

marddin thread starter macrumors 6502

I hope I don't have to go through all that trouble. The only problem with my screen is the mura spot. Everything else is fine and I have a samsung screen. I've heard mixed responses regarding LG or Samsung but from what I hear LG has even more problems.

7. marddin thread starter macrumors 6502

Called applecare and explained my situation and they recommended I go direct to an apple store to see about getting a replacement screen. Hopefully the store doesn't give me any problems.

8. Lord Appleseed macrumors 6502a

Lord Appleseed

I'm having the same issue.
    Whats confusing me is that it appeared so long after purchase. I bought my Retina MBP short after release in summer 2012 and didn't have that problem until recently.

[​IMG]

Do you guys think they will replace the screen?

9. marddin thread starter macrumors 6502

From what I've read they will replace this as a defect. It's is called a "Mura Spot."

Regarding them forming over time I have to agree. I bought mine shortly after release date and didn't have any problems. Over time I had one spot form and now it's right in the middle of my screen. I have not gone up to apple yet to get it replaced because I cannot be multiple days or weeks without my computer so I have to wait until I'm out of school for the semester.

Here's a worthy article to read my friend.
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4042189?start=0&tstart=0

10. Lord Appleseed macrumors 6502a

Lord Appleseed

Thanks marddin :)

Update:

I brought it to Apple on Monday evening. They called me at 6pm (GMT+1) today and told me that the repair is finished.
    I am now writing from my repaired device. The screen was replaced under apple care with no problems. Though Apple tried to tell me that such mura spots only happen through mishandling the device...

11. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

If they could prove that, they would have denied your claim.

I've heard lots of techs try and blame the customer for problems, even when there's no way it could be their fault. Just blow it off as "This statement does not represent the official opinion of Apple Inc." and leave it at that.

12. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Conversely I've seen hundreds of threads on here about the best way to lie about how you damaged your computer. It sucks because Apple is much tougher with their repair/exchange policies, but I don't blame them one bit.

13. CapnJackGig macrumors 6502a

Apple has no basis on which to be tougher when it comes to screen exchanges since they have such a long history of putting out awful screens. They need to get their quality control under control before they start questioning people with legit returns. As someone that's gone through 5 iMac returns due to the awful yellow screens, I can't blame anyone for returning their computer as much as possible.

14. Atisha macrumors member

Blah, I would like to do the same and have it repaired, but I literally need this computer every day. When I hopefully buy the next gen of MBPr (since this is the best computer I've ever owned), I'll get that repaired and sell it.

15. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Sorry, I would see a sharp increase in fraudulent claims as a basis to be tougher on a return policy, but I also don't own a multi billion dollar company, so there you go.

16. marddin thread starter macrumors 6502

From what I've read as long as you reference the kb article a few posts above they should replace it no questions asked. I'm surprised and happy for you though that the repair was done within the day. That is great. Hope it works out for me that way