Macbook Pro Retina Screen Protector?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sengkwan, Jun 15, 2012.

1. sengkwan macrumors newbie

Greetings everyone,

Do you guys know if the screen protector designed for the previous generation unibody MacBook Pro 15.4 would somehow fit on the new 15.4 MacBook Pro with Retina Display?

Thank you

2. jimmyz80 macrumors member

I wonder if we could get Monoprice to do a screen protector. I have their protectors on my retina phones, and there's literally no indication there's a protector on the phone. I'd be more than happy to put their material on my RMBP, unless it ends up making it crazy reflective (probably would).

3. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

4. minnus macrumors 6502

It looks like a very clean fit (the screen protector), and given that size of the laptops of different, any screen protector that fully fits the old bezel would likely be too big.

5. jcpb macrumors 6502a

MBPR is *slightly* smaller than MBP, so previous 15" screen covers will be too large.

6. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Is the bezel smaller?? I totally forgot about that. Has the overall size of the screen changed though?

7. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

Only if the cover went all the way to the edges of the previous models.

If I was going to get a screen cover I'd be looking at matte screens also.

8. Herrow macrumors regular

This screen protector is says it fits the Retina model:
    http://www.shaggymac.com/macbook-pro-screen-protector-15.html

9. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

That's not the type of screen protector they're referring to, they're talking about protectors that you stick onto the screen to protect it from scratches.

The Shaggymac and similar Radtech Screensavrz are just microfibre cloths that are custom fit to the macbook's size, to prevent scratches from the keys when the laptop is closed.

10. iLikeTurtles! macrumors 6502

screen shields are great for smaller portable devices like the iphone ipad etc.

but for the macbook. the screen is made of glass. its not a touch screen. glasses is a very scratch resistant material. (how often do you scratch a window?)

id say leave it and enjoy the computer.

11. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Do people really scratch their laptop LCD any other way than when you close it?

Common ways to damage:
    Close lid on something - no way to protect other than not do it
    Drop laptop while open or in clamshell - no way to protect other than not do it
    While clamshelled, press too hard on lid and keys scratch - use cloth to guard between keyboard and LCD

I guess if I jabbed the screen with a pen while pointing at something it might? But I just can't see people doing such a thing with a laptop.

Tablets and phones are open all the time with fingers rubbing the glass/surface which will scratch if there is dust or particles there. Laptop LCDs don't have this except for touchscreen LCDs.

12. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

If you need a screen protector for a laptop, dare I say it, you're doing it wrong.

13. mexico macrumors member

I agree with what your saying but, the Retina macbook has no glass protecting it. So I think it will be a little more susceptible to scratches

14. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

I do agree with you, that's why the only 'screen protector' I ordered is the Shaggymac cloth to prevent the keyboard from scratching/leaving a mark on the screen when the lid is closed :)

15. iLikeTurtles! macrumors 6502

i be honest i have never seen the retina macbooks in real life yet.

they look like the regular macbooks with the standard glass . theres nothing? just an exposed LED screen?

16. mexico macrumors member

yep exposed screen

17. sanop macrumors newbie

When some customers use ********* pen point and scratch your screen, you would need it. :D

18. zerotiu macrumors regular

I usually soft smack someone's hand that nearly touch my screen. It's almost like spidey sense :D

and then do this
    [​IMG]

19. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

A colleague of mine was pointing with his pen tip at a figure we had displayed on my screen. I didn't hear a thing he was talking about but just staring at the end of that pen. Of course my boss was touching all over the screen, and I'm new enough to the job that I didn't exactly want to rebuke him right then.

So, I'm either going to consider a screen protector or never use my computer in meetings again. Maybe they should have replaced that "MacBook Pro" label on the bezel with "Touch And Suffer The Wrath".