Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gametime10

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
I have a MacBook Pro Retina (MC976LL/A) and the screen wobbles a bit when I open it. It's not terrible, but a bit annoying. Unfortunately, it's out of warranty. Is this something I can take in to an Apple Store and a Genius can just fix right there? Or would this end up costing me since it's out of warranty?

eas

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2005
I had this problem, and the ended up fixing it when it was still under warranty, by replacing it with a screen with bad pixels. I should have taken it back again, but I thought it was just one marginal pixel. It was only later that I realized that it was more than one.

More recently I had trouble with a sort of a looseness and a clunking with the hinge, and took it apart to try and fix it myself. Once I figured out that the hinge cover has some tiny little pieces to close the ends off around the shafts, I was able to get to the hinge and just tighten up some loose bolts and it has been good ever since.

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
I've had the same problem with my non retina mac and i took it to apple and said it would cost 200 bucks, and then a week later i took it again and they did it for free. They just need to tighten some screws and make sure they don't charge you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.