Macbook Pro Retina Shipping Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pentad, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

For those who have ordered one, how many days did it take to go from Processing to Preparing?

I ordered a 2.7/16/512 w/super drive, Mag Safe 2 adapter, and TB to GB connector (7/31). I received the Super Drive and Mag Safe 2 adapter but the MBPr is still in processing.

I know they are busy and I'm not complaining. The estimated ship date is 08/09-08/16 but I was just wondering if going from Processing to Preparing was a few days or near the time when they ship it out.

Thanks,
    -P

2. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

When I first ordered my 2.3/16/256 it actually shipped out a few days to a week earlier than estimated, so there's always a chance that will happen to you too.

I also suggest looking at MacMall if you are anxious to get your rMBP. I returned my 2.3 and ordered the same exact configuration as yours (2.7/16/512) and they have it in stock, so it'll ship from Memphis today or Monday.

FWIW, regarding my 2.3, I checked my order status many times a day, however the time between preparing for shipment and actual shipment took so little time that I never actually logged in and saw it as Preparing for Shipment. So to answer your question, it usually goes to Preparing about a day or so before shipment, sometimes less.

3. Pentad thread starter macrumors 6502a

Pentad

Zackkmac, thanks for the info! I had no idea that MacMall could get the BTO options like that. I will have to keep them in mind. That is going to come in really handy!

Thanks!
    -P

4. Teem45, Aug 4, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2012

Teem45 macrumors member

Thank you to Zackkmac for pointing out that MacMall had them today. I've been checking there for weeks, and they have only had three configurations in stock until today--they must have just gotten some in!

I have been through the try to get what you want phase for a month now. Custom ordered from Apple on 7/9, which took what seemed like too long once they changed ship times and the older orders seemed to go to the back of the line. Then found a base model at Apple store and canceled BTO and love it but have decided 8 GB of memory is just not enough for me, too many pageouts, so I BTO again from Apple a couple days ago, and then saw your post today and canceled from Apple and ordered from MacMall...which will hopefully be here Monday morning on overnight shipping (amazing how they can ship that fast, 4 Central time on Saturday to before 10:30 Monday morning, wow). Now to just hope I get one of the good ones and that you do too! I know there have been quality issues here and there no matter where they are bought (although I think those of us who hang out here are more aware of those possibilities than even the Apple store employees, lol). My first one was perfect quality-wise, so let's hope the luck lasts. At least I will have more storage space and memory, which was what I regretted not getting in the first place. Too expensive of a computer to not be 100% happy. This is my first-ever Apple return after many products over the years.

MacMall assured me I could return if defective when I get it instead of having to deal with Apple(full return for defects only, but since I've spent 10 days with this one, I know I love it, so no worries there).

Now to treat this one currently in my lap like a piece of fine china until I can get it back to the Apple store before the 14 days is up on Tuesday. :D

5. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

MacMall indeed got in a boat load yesterday. My BTO rMBP was in that shipment. It is now in Memphis on its way to me. :D

6. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

No problem! Did yours ship out today? I ordered mine at around 11am CST and they informed me it would not ship until Monday despite the early order time. I went with standard FedEx ground because I am only an hour away from Memphis. :)

7. Teem45 macrumors member

Actually, no, though I went over it twice with the rep and she assured me it would be. They did call me for credit verification. I called back there at 7 CDT, and they told me the credit card was verified but since it hadn't been shipped yet, it would be Monday before it goes out. I was kinda annoyed, especially since this was a specific concern of mine and I paid for overnight shipping. Oddly enough, and this stuff always makes sense in hindsight, I was due a $104 Apple Insider discount. She told me she was giving me just a $60 discount and then giving me free overnight shipping, but it still totaled the $104. I think she knew it wouldn't get out today and was protecting herself from having to refund shipping charges. Grrr. They still haven't charged my card, though got the approval. When I've ordered from them in the past, they charge instantly. Weird. I also asked for the priority overnight, and she has it in as standard overnight. Again, grrr! Now I'll have to hang around the house as late as 3 waiting for it. I have spent countless hours this week stressing over making the right choice...I guess what's a few more?! :rolleyes:

The Apple CS rep was a whole lot more helpful and nice when I called to cancel my BTO this afternoon. Why can't they all be like that?!

Luckily, it's not life or death that I get it Monday--just had more time to set it up that day because I need a couple hours to return the one I have now to the Apple store on Tuesday (it's an hour drive). I guess we'll be getting ours on the same day. I wouldn't be surprised if mine comes out of Memphis to Dallas. Here's to hoping they are both perfect! I just ran the code and found out the one I have now is the Samsung screen. No wonder I love it. Hoping for the same luck a second time, or at the very least a perfect LG screen. I'm not THAT picky, but for $3000+, I expect it to be working correctly out of the box. If not, Apple will have some splainin' to do! :D

8. Nick16 macrumors regular

I ordered my new rMBP last Tuesday and I just checked and it's finally now in the "Preparing for Shipment" stage after being processing since Tuesday. Does this mean it will likely ship tomorrow (Monday)?

9. Teem45 macrumors member

Nick, did you order from the Apple online store? If so, the preparing for shipment status makes it likely it will change to shipped tomorrow, yes. Have fun with your new computer...hope it gets to you quickly.

10. RealEyes macrumors regular

Three and a half weeks.

11. Nick16 macrumors regular

Thanks, you were right... I just checked and it shipped from China today at 3pm their time.

12. edk99 macrumors 6502a

I ordered a 2.6/16/512 from macmall last Tuesday and did overnight shipping and got it Friday. I was pretty shocked how fast I got it.

It came with Lion so over the weekend I wiped the drive and installed a fresh copy of ML. So far it is running like a champ.

13. Teem45 macrumors member

Zackmacc, if you're still watching this thread, is yours out for delivery today on FedEx? Mine is! I have to admit I've been stressed about it because MacMall has about the most confused customer service I've dealt with in a while, but it's on its way. Now to see if it's a good one. If it's not, I shudder to think what they would be like to deal with for a return. I called yesterday at noon and got a guy on the line (forgot to get his name, doh) who said the order did look odd in the system and that he was going to personally check into it and call me back. After about eight hours of waiting, I gave up on him ever calling back. I called back in the evening, and the woman I got that time assured me it was going out. But then she called me back two minutes later and offered me AppleCare at a $30 discount. When I passed on that (already have it purchased), she couldn't get off the phone fast enough. :p

Bottom line to others, looks like they will get it here on time, though they did promise me Monday, but I think they over-promised on that so late on Saturday afternoon. If you have the fortitude to deal with their CS to get a decent discount, by all means do, but if you don't, just order from Apple. I'm not sure I personally have the fortitude to deal with this on a high-dollar item again.

EDIT: Sad thing about all this stressing is that in 6-12 months, the second-generation rMBP that actually vacuums your floors as it charges and has coffee waiting for you in the morning will be released, and this whole cycle will start over again. :-D