MacBook Pro retina shuts down unexpectedly

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iJess85, Jul 20, 2017.

1. iJess85 macrumors member

hi,
    I have a MacBook Pro retina 13" (mid 2014). I have a strange situation. It will only stay on with a hdmi cable in. If you unplug the cable it will shut down within minutes.

It works fine in safe boot mode. I have tried resetting everything and reinstalling the OS.

have had a two hour phone call to apple to no avail. Really don't want to have to take it in- so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas!

2. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

That sounds really odd, not in clamshell mode or anything?

There shouldn't be anything software related causing that, but if you wanted to do a reinstall to check before you brought it in then do that. Otherwise there could be a hardware issue, has it had any damage at all? It'd be odd but could be a short between the charging circuit and HDMI somewhere, hence they're asking you to take it in.

Check the ports too and make sure they're clean.

3. iJess85 thread starter macrumors member

There's been no damage to it.
    What is clamshell mode?

4. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

As in when you hook it up to an external display and close the lid.

5. iJess85 thread starter macrumors member

It works with the screen up and down as long as it is connected via hdmi

6. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

Hmm and there's nothing in energy saving preferences?

The computer is actually shutting down when the HDMI is unplugged and the computer is plugged into AC power supply? It's not going to sleep while on battery or anything?

Just re-reading your initial post and you say it works in safe mode, and you've reinstalled MacOS to no avail. It's a really odd one but as it works in safe mode it is possible a software issue, try restoring energy preferences to default. Otherwise it could be an errant kext file somewhere causing an issue.

Try backtrack what's happened when the issue first occurred. Had you updated the OS, installed new software, anything like that?

7. iJess85 thread starter macrumors member

Nope, happens when it is plugged into the charger and when it's not plugged into the charger.

Checked the energy saving preferences, all look fine.

Haven't done anything differently re software installation either. It's a weird one!

8. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

It might be worth trying to get one of those Kext cleaner thingy's, someone else may be able to recommend one for you. Just as you say it works fine in safe mode, so there's a software conflict somewhere.

I'm honestly struggling to think as there's been no new software and no damage. It just started all on its own! Do you have any other cable to try it with, like DVI? Is it purely HDMI? I'm scraping the barrel at this point for you though, but I think the answer lies between safe mode/normal mode differences on what it's running and what it isn't.

9. iJess85 thread starter macrumors member

If someone could recommend a decent kext program that would be great. I may just have to bite the bullet and take it to apple hospital though

10. DarkSel macrumors regular

Sounds like a hardware problem. Any liquid damage? If you bring it to Apple and they find signs of liquid damage, they will charge you ~$800 to fix it. Otherwise, you can do depot repair for ~$300.

11. iJess85 thread starter macrumors member

Nope, no liquid been anywhere near it