MacBook Pro Retina SSD noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nik, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Nik macrumors 6502a

Hi,
    I got my new MacBook Pro with 512GB SSD a few days ago and I notice a high pitched noise coming from the SSD.

The problem is reproducible: Run Blackmagic Disk Speed test and hold your ear above the "Enter"-Key of your keyboard. First, the Speed Test will write to the SSD, noise is barely noticable. But then it reads from the SSD, then you can hear a high pitched noise coming from the region around the "Enter"-Key.

It is very annoying escpecially in a quiet environment.

Do you have the same issues? Which SSD manufacturer? I have a 512GB Samsung SSD in the Late 2013 Retina MacBook Pro.

2. B's iPhone macrumors member

B's iPhone

SSD's shouldn't be making any noise. There's no moving parts.
    If you think there's something wrong with your machine take it to Apple and have it checked.
    My late 2013 15" with 512 SSD is very quiet.

3. PortableOne.com macrumors newbie

PortableOne.com

Agreed. If there is an issue Apple will take care of it, but if it's too quite to hear in a busy Apple store it may take some motivation on your part. The only noise from my MBP Retina is the occasional fan noise when running Multi desktops and Windows via Parallels.

4. uller6 macrumors member

uller6

Mine does too

My 2 day old rMBP 2013 15", 1T samsung SSD does the exact same thing. When reading from the SSD, it makes a very quiet, high pitched noise with a frequency around 20 kHz. I can only hear it when I have my ear about 1" from the enter key. I assume it's some part of the hardware - I've had plenty of solid state devices that made similar noises in the past.

5. richard371 macrumors 68000

LMAO. Yes if I listen very carefully and hit start stop on blackmagic I can hear a very faint noise. I can't believe I just wasted 20 seconds of my life testing this haha. Its not an issue at all as far as I'm concerned. The fan running at idle is 1000X louder and it is still virtually silent.

6. Saviorrisen macrumors newbie

Same thing here.. same computer. I can't imagine this being a problem..

7. shadow82x macrumors 6502

Same thing on the same model...but who's really going to be putting their ear next to the enter button on a normal occurrence? I couldn't hear it a normal distance away from the computer in a super quiet environment.