Macbook Pro Retina SSD Will Be Replaceable Apparently - According to OWC

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mattmikulla, Jun 12, 2012.

1. mattmikulla macrumors newbie

2. Rudy69 macrumors 6502a

Rudy69

Replaceable? Yes

Is it worth it in the short run? No

3. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

And I am sure OWC will be VERY proud of it when it comes out.

Prob cost more than the laptop itself, OWC is worse than Apple when it comes to "taxing" new stuff.

Hopefully within 18 months they will be somewhat affordable.

4. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

That's what you get to do when you are the only company offering products like blade-style ssds for the Air and now the Retina.

5. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Yeah, not worth replacing in the short run.

It's nice to know though that two or three years down the line when you're out of warranty that you will have an upgrade option without buying a new machine.

6. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

OWC is really the only third party retailer that sells SSD that is compatible with the MBP and MBA. The new MBA and retina MBP according to OWC has a new connector, and they've stated that their developers will starting working on it to give owners upgrade options.

As long as they charge less than Apple they'll have alot of users flocking to them. I just wish there would be more competition and other companies would do the same.

7. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Enlighten me...

Is the retina mac intended to be user upgradeable? Wouldn't opening it up void the warranty? (unlike my MBP13 and other models).

8. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Apple does not consider the SSD in the Retina Macbook Pro to be user upgrade-able. They could theoretically refuse warranty service, although you could always swap the original drive back in before you took it in.

I think this will primarily be an option for those who are out of warranty in a year or two and want to upgrade their Retina MBP without buying a new computer.

If you just want to have tons of movies or music, get a USB 3.0 external hard drive. One Terrabyte runs about $100.

9. StuLax18 macrumors 6502

Just look at their pricing for MBA replaceable SSD's and you will lose all excitement.

10. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Wouldn't simply removing the screws void your warranty? (They would know this).

Yeah, I know. I have about 5TB of externals myself. Was just curious how folks accustomed to swapping out the innards of their MBP's (like me) get used to this new concept in the "Pro" line.

It's not sitting well with me right now. :(