Macbook pro Retina stolen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sab2el, Oct 11, 2014.

1. sab2el macrumors newbie

Hi to all,

I am an avid reader of Macrumors for a long time, hardly post here since skimming through the forums usually solves my problems. thank you all.

Just recently I have had my Macbook Pro retina 15" stolen :( and I forgot whether I have enabled "find my mac " options or not, but much to my delight I can see it in "find my iPhone" and its showing offline. its been nearly three weeks expecting the macbook pro to pop in "find my iPhone" but no luck.

Now what are my options?? I have enabled the lock and notify me options in "find my iPhone" but what else can be done?? Any suggestions from you guys would be a great help.

Thanks

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Not much else you can do on your end but wait and hope they jump on the Internet with it so FMM does its magic. Odds are at this point they have wiped it though.

You probably should change your passwords for any account like iCloud etc that were on there.

Make sure you report it stolen to the police and give them the serial number so they can enter it in the national NCIC stolen property database. (I'm assuming USA here :))

3. sab2el thread starter macrumors newbie

Being wiped is a possibilty but going through this forum someone mentioned that FMM once enabled gets embedded into the NVRAM..am i correct to assume this?Also since I am in Bangladesh , laws are fragile here so no point reporting to any authorities.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I think what you may have read is once the stolen machine gets the wipe/lock command from FMM, it embeds a four digit PIN lock in the EFI (firmware). But the machine would need to be on the Internet to receive that FMM command still.

I don't believe there is anything about FMM that is embedded in firmware until the wipe/lock command is received.

5. HowEver macrumors 6502a

HowEver

This thread is a good reminder to activate a firmware password, so that your computer CANNOT BE WIPED.

Then Find My Device will continue to work.

Oh, and it wouldn't hurt to add on something like preyproject.com.

6. sab2el thread starter macrumors newbie

Can you elaborate on how to enable a firmware password.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Do a command-r boot to recovery then select the firmware password utility in the Utilities menu and away you go.

It prevents anybody from booting from any drive other than the selected startup disk.

[​IMG]

8. HowEver macrumors 6502a

HowEver

But DO NOT FORGET your firmware password. You could essentially make your own computer un-usable if you do.

9. 100thMonkey macrumors member