Macbook Pro Retina Temperature question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dadsmail, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Dadsmail macrumors newbie

Hi folks! New Macbook Pro owner here (2015 13" Retina model, i5 2.7, 8GB memory). Been an iMac user for years, but just replaced my Windows laptop with a MBP around a month ago. So far I'm happy with my MBP. But lately I’ve been noticing unexpected temp spikes (through SMC Fan control). My MBP idles at 38-45c. With light load (powerpoint - slide show mode, with Facebook through safari / chrome), it reaches 48-60c. But after doing the same thing for around 40 mins, I experience sudden temp spikes 75-85c. I experienced this just now - presentation suddenly slowed down, sometimes froze for around 5 secs. No change in what I was doing.

I know the temp ranges I’m experiencing aren’t alarming but I don't think that modern machines should be slowing down while doing common / non-cpu intensive tasks. I'm worried that this might be a symptom of a bigger problem. Is this a normal MBP occurrence and is it safe to assume that since the moving parts in MBPs are minimal, it’s most likely a software issue?

Activity monitor shows the following when the spike happened:

powerpoint - 15

coreaudio - 13

kernel _task - 12

Thanks in advance

-Basil

2. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Your temps are fine.

Sounds like a software bug with office. My work machine does this sometimes, and I have office running, outlook, PowerPoint etc

See if you can replicate without MS office running.

3. sentential macrumors regular

Chrome has become horribly bloated as of late, there is a possibility what you're seeing is not the unit overheating but it running out of RAM. I'd stick with Safari or use FF

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Your temps are so far within design specs that I don't know what the question is.... unless they are over 100 degrees centigrade then you have nothing to worry about.

Some badly coded webpages will cause CPU spikes especially on chrome.