MacBook Pro Retina UI Lag

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pedro Pinto, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Pedro Pinto macrumors member

Pedro Pinto

Hello everyone.

I've received my brand new MBP and this is my first time moving to OS X.
    Surprisingly, I've notice some UI lag during simple tasks like maximizing windows, scrolling up/down, moving windows, etc.
    I've searched for some information about this and it seems I'm not the only one getting this. Some claim that it can be software issue, while others say that Apple didn't probably think retina displays would require so much from a MB.

I would like to know what you guys think about it and what can I do (If I actually can do anything) in order to have my MBP nice and smooth.

2. Cardsnk macrumors regular

Try SMC Reset, i think my best guess is that you are using OSX Yosemite? Many have claimed that to increase performance in the os, you should disable transparency in System Preferences and Accessibility.

Better yet, as others also find out that the upcoming OSX El Captian boosts system performance in UI.

3. Pedro Pinto thread starter macrumors member

Pedro Pinto

Hello Cardsnk and thank you for your fast response.

In fact I'm using Yosemite which's the OS which comes by default.

As I've read on the link you've provide me, it seems to be a last-option method which makes me think it's kind of "dangerous", isn't it? What does it actually do? (I'm sorry for asking all these things that are probably noob questions).

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Nothing cardsnk suggested is dangerous for your computer.... SMC is a the system Manangement controller, resetting it will clear out any bugs or caches that may be causing the odd glitch, you can try an NVRAM reset as well if you like but there is very little chance either will help

You have a few options, a yosemite reinstall, has been helpful for a few people.

Do turn down turn down the transparency it does help.

This does seem to be a coding problem in OSX and it seems that most reports suggest that the next OSX (El capitan) will fix all these issues. That is a available as a public beta download at the moment, but remember that beta software could have more bugs and be incompatable with software and cause more troubles than a bit of jitter in the UI.

5. Pedro Pinto thread starter macrumors member

Pedro Pinto

I really appreciate your help. Thank you both for your important informations.