Macbook Pro retina (used?)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pontus669, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Pontus669, Jun 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2013

Pontus669 macrumors newbie

Hello.
    I was sure that i was going to buy the new mba just a week ago, only because of the cheaper price.
    But then i found a used rMBP 15" for almost the same price.
    What do you guys think? Are there any risks when buying a used mac? (performance lost, battery, etc)

Thanks in advance. :apple:

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

As long as you can check it out yourself you can use the System Profiler to find out the state of the battery. You can negotiate from that point -- obviously a MBP with 3/4 used up battery isn't worth as much with one with 1/4 used.

Also are we talking 13" or 15"? Apple has 13" rMBPs refurbs for $1270 and 15" for $1320, both w/ brand new battery and 1 year warranty. I suspect brand new ones will be had for less soon too as the Haswell refresh approaches.

But you have to ask yourself what your priority is: lowest weight possible or best screen possible. Then you'll know what you want to buy.

3. Pontus669 thread starter macrumors newbie

I really want the bigger and better screen and also a dedicated graphics card since i'm going to try some gaming. The portability lost is not huge for me since i'm not going to carry it around that much.

And since i'm living in Sweden, buying apple products are very expensive. An new rMBP would cost me $3,200. (2013 model the on i'm buying is 2012 retina)

The one i'm buying will cost me 1,600$ + my iPad.

For comparison: The new MBA cost 1,538$ in the Swedish Apple store.

4. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

Just to clarify, the $1320 price is for the 2011 classic 15" MBP, not the 2012 retina.

(I gasped a bit when I first saw that price, almost bought one myself).

5. Pontus669 thread starter macrumors newbie

Cycle count 411

I just heard that the used rMBP hade 411 in battery cycle count. That doesn't tell me much. A max on this model is 1000 right?
    Is it usable or is it trash?

The computer has been used with picture editing as a work computer on a daily basis. Does that affect anything more then the battery?

6. eldy macrumors 6502

It should still be usable. Apple guarantees 80% capacity at 1000 cycles.

The only other thing that could possibly wear out is the SSD but that is unlikely also.