MacBook Pro Retina v Mac Book Pro 2011 Start Up Speed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ramykhuffash, Jun 20, 2012.

1. ramykhuffash, Jun 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2012

ramykhuffash macrumors newbie

Essentially a badly edited video of the MacBook pro Retina being restarted at the same time as a standard 2011 MBP. It's Tony Millions MBP which has a 2.6Ghz CPU, 16GB Ram and 512SSD. The 2011 Macbook Pro is just the basic one (mine!).

Although this isn't the most scientific of tests it's still cool to see how quickly the new MBP starts up!

Here's the video:

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Does it matter that its a retina MBP or an ivy bridge MBP. I'd say the ivy bridge chipset along with the SSD are the driving factors for the boot up, not that its a retina display - or am I misunderstanding something

3. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

The retina screen's pixel density is so high that it creates a gravitational force strong enough to suck data out of the SSD faster.

That makes sense.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I forgot about that, as I noticed a similar phenomenon, my retina display's gravitational forces sucked my wallet out from pocket and forced it into apple's hand to buy one :p

5. ramykhuffash thread starter macrumors newbie

Hahaha exactly! Essentially I was just comparing the speeds of my 2011 MBP to my buddies brand new one and thought it would be worth posting a video of it.

6. NoMoreSony macrumors member

Macbook Pro late 2011 with any SATA3 SSD is equally so fast as a new MBP-r. The difference is not visible. But thank you for another good video, which showing us all benefits of SSDs.

7. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

MBPr's SATA6 SSD would still smoke anything you can fit into a 2011 model.

8. leenak macrumors 68020

This is my first SSD drive and with my previous computer, I could get up, get a drink, etc before I boot up. With this one, I don't even have time to think about it :)

9. Mac-Tech macrumors regular

Mac-Tech

You are right it is not that it's Retina that makes it faster. A 2011 Late Model Macbook Pro with the Specs below will boot the same time as a Retina Mac. Specs are the same as the Retina Mac. Some one should do a comparison and you shall see it will start up the same time.

Mac Book Pro (Late 2011) - Fully MAXED OUT!
    *15.4-inch LED-backlit glossy (Hi-Res Glossy) 1440 by 900 pixels
    *2.7GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz
    *8GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
    *512GB Solid State Drive
    *1GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with GDDR5

10. NoMoreSony macrumors member

Most of original Apple SSDs (Samsung or Toshiba OEM) not the best in their class. Even my old trusty Crucial M4 256G on early Macbook Pro 2011 with SATA 6G interface shows better overall Read speed, than shining new Apple SSD on new MBP-r. Write speed is for sure slower on Early 2011, but if we speak about booting time - it is mostly depend from the read speed.

Early 2011 MBP Crucial 256G SSD -
    [​IMG]

Middle 2012 MBP-r 256G SSD -
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. barmann macrumors 6502

Computers aren't your thing, are they ? ;)
    As said above, more politely, this comparison is utter nonsense .