Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluerainman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
Hello all!

I just ordered a new MacBook Pro and I'm having second thoughts. I previously had a top of the line Mid - 2012 MacBook Pro with Anti-Glare until it was stolen. I previously owned a:

MacBook Pro

2.7GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz
8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
1TB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display

And I just ordered a:

MacBook Pro Retina Display

2.6GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
256GB Flash Storage

Now I plan on having techstore.com replace my screen with a matte anti-glare screen so that covers the screen. But as far as specs am I good? I do professional video editing, photography and graphic design. AT any given time I might be using Final Cut, Motion, listening to music and have a web page up. Will the MacBook Pro Retina be able to handle this work load with no problems?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Nov 28, 2010
located
Now I plan on having techstore.com replace my screen with a matte anti-glare screen so that covers the screen.
Are you sure that this is possible with the MacBook Pro with Retina Display, did you verify that with TechStore (I couldn't find a website, as techstore.com seems to be on hold or something)?

As for the rest, if your older MBP could do it, the MacBook Pro with Retina Display can do that too.

bluerainman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
Are you sure that this is possible with the MacBook Pro with Retina Display, did you verify that with TechStore (I couldn't find a website, as techstore.com seems to be on hold or something)?

As for the rest, if your older MBP could do it, the MacBook Pro with Retina Display can do that too.

Sorry the website is techrestore.com

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
Tech Restore replaces the entire LCD panel with an anti-glare panel; they don't just remove the exterior glass. It makes no sense to me to spend the extra money for a Retina MBP and then replace it with a standard LCD. Stick with a regular MBP and order the anti-glare option or try the excellent Power Support anti-glare film.

BTW, there is no mention on the Tech Restore website about a Retina MBP LCD replacement...

http://www.techrestore.com/mac/mbp-unibody-repair.shtml

Jaykee

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2012
England
I still don't see all the rage about the anti-glare display, I've got the standard 1440x800 MBP screen, it looks crisp and I get like no glare whatsoever, hmmm o_O

tikaka

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2012
Beside the term of display (of course retina will blow your mind as it is so so so beautiful), rMBP is always better than MBP because they are using Ivy Bridge and according to my friend, my 2.3Ghz rMBP is faster than his 2.5Ghz MBP. So if you spend a little bit more (~$300) and get the 2.7Ghz, then what the $#%*@ hoho. Enjoy it man ( at least until next Mar, Intel's gonna release the new Haswell).

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Beside the term of display (of course retina will blow your mind as it is so so so beautiful), rMBP is always better than MBP because they are using Ivy Bridge

As far as I know the 2012 15" Macbook Pro and 2012 15" Retina Macbook Pro both have the same Ivy Bridge CPU options.

To the thread starter, as stated above I don't think you can have the RMBP's display converted to antiglare. If the glare bothers you I think the most you could do would be to put some kind of film over it.

iLukeJoseph

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
I went from a late 2011 AG to the rMBP. I liked the AG and all, but the rMBP is just beautiful. The glare isn't that bad (a million times better than my TBD and also better than my wife's 2011 MBA).

Snowshiro

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
I don't think you can have the RMBP's display converted to antiglare.

Yeah, I'd be pretty surprised if you were wrong. AFAIK part of the process of making it thinner involved a new technique to bond the screen directly to the glass - it's pretty much impossible to separate them. I believe they also made fairly substantial claims about how this cuts down the reflective quality of the screen and makes glare a lot less of an issue. Certainly my screen hasn't had any noticeable problems with reflection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.