MacBook Pro Retina vs. MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by b134, Nov 5, 2013.

1. b134 macrumors newbie

Hi guys!

I'm new here and I'm looking for some advice. I currently have the non-retina mid 2012 version of the MacBook Pro 13 inch, base model.

13-inch
    2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
    Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
    4GB 1600MHz memory
    500GB 5400-rpm hard drive1
    Intel HD Graphics 4000

I'm looking into getting the new late 2013 model of the retina MacBook Pro 13 inch, however, I'm not sure which to get. I know I want the 13 inch because of portability (I'm a student).

I'm between:

The base model:
    2.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
    Turbo Boost up to 2.9GHz
    4GB 1600MHz memory
    128GB PCIe-based flash storage1
    Intel Iris Graphics

The mid range model:
    Turbo Boost up to 2.9GHz
    8GB 1600MHz memory
    256GB PCIe-based flash storage1
    Intel Iris Graphics

I definitely want 8GB of ram and I will upgrade the processor on both, but I'm having trouble deciphering between 128GB and 256GB flash storage. Anyone have any advice on which to get? :confused:

2. NewYorkRanger macrumors regular

NewYorkRanger

Buy more today and and have no regrets tomorrow.

Go 256 - you get more storage and it is much faster than 128, in terms of read and write speeds. It's only a few hundreds diallers more you get double the ram and double the HD space. No brainer.

And make sure to buy via an education discount.

3. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Do you need the retina display? Otherwise you can save a bunch of money by upgrading your current machine with a SSD and more memory. It made my 2011 MBP feel like a new machine. Just added a SDD to my wife's iMac and she is ecstatic about the performance.

4. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

Take the medium-range model, it's only US$ 100 more for an additional 128 GB. It's worth it. Do you need the upgraded processor?

5. b134 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's not so much about the retina display, it's just that its a lot lighter and thinner than my current model, ergo easier to transport and carry with me.
    MacBook Air isn't worth the money for a half pound less and not as much computing power.

I wanted to go with the better processor just because I plan on using this computer till I graduate from college and I do LOTS of multitasking - Writing a paper, doing research, watching videos, etc.

And I am definitely doing the education discount! :D

6. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

This is the one I got and I couldn't be happier. Always get more space when you can. I think this is more important than bumping up the processor speed, which will barely be noticeable.

The mid range model:
    Turbo Boost up to 2.9GHz
    8GB 1600MHz memory
    256GB PCIe-based flash storage1
    Intel Iris Graphics

7. Voca, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2013

Voca macrumors member

Voca

First of all, you cannot upgrade the processor in any Apple Computer.

That said - Go with non Retina :)
    You still have the option to upgrade ram yourself as well as to upgrade your HDD and add an additional HDD or SSD.

For future repairs, if needed - the non Retina MBP repairs will cost less.

2012 non retina - 16GB ram upgrade - more than you ever will need! Even with Multitasking, Photoshop, Video editing, Adobe illustrator or other design programs.

Questions? Just ask!

8. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

Don't immediately discount the MBA on performance grounds.

If you look at Geekbench benchmarks, the MBA 1.7 GHz i7 processor is slightly faster than the 2.4 GHz i5 processor in the 13" rMBP. If you compare it instead to the 2.6 GHz i5, the 1.7 is about the same (slightly faster for single core tasks, slower for multi-core tasks).

Apple lists the processors by their "resting" speed, not their maximum speed. The 1.7 i7 has a max Turbo speed of 3.3 GHz. The rMBP's 2.4 i5 maxes out at 2.9 GHz, and the 2.6 i5 maxes at 3.1 GHz.

Compare your current system's performance at http://browser.primatelabs.com/mac-benchmarks to see how it differs. Either the rMBP or MBA will have benefits from the fact that they have an SSD instead of a HD. As has been pointed out, you could upgrade the RAM and HD in your current system can get most of the performance of a new machine.

But as you said, lightness is a factor. Look at the MBA in an i7/8/256 configuration and see if it might do, performance wise it's as good as the 2.4/8/256 rMBP. Just lighter and with a different screen.

9. leman macrumors 604

I have to strongly disagree with Voca here. The non-retina is not that much cheaper, but its slower, heavier and has a inferior display. Let's not even talk about the retina bit, already the working space difference makes the rMBP a much preferred model.

The MBA is not that much slower than the rMBP by the way. Don't underestimate that little CPU ;)

As to 128GB vs 256GB - it depends on how much space you need. I have been using 256GB SSD for more then a year and it is absolutely sufficient for all my applications, data, music, a bunch of HQ series and movies and a 64GB Bootcamp installation with several games on top of it. Some users here have extensive photo and music libraries which simply won't fit on the 256GB. Of course, there is always the external drive option... Frankly I think that 128GB is a bit too little for most users, but there are certainly people for whom it will be plenty.

10. b134 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the non-retina, I'm upgrading from the non-retina. That said, AlecMyrddyn mentioned going with the i7/8/256 configuration of the MBA.. That configuration is actually MORE money than the mid range model of the rMBP, even with the education discount.

AlecMyrddyn also mentioned that "performance wise it's as good as the 2.4/8/256 rMBP" then I would rather pay less for the mid-range model with a better screen and deal with a half a pound! I'm also not a fan of the silver bezel on the MBA - too distracting, but that's just me! I think I'm gonna go with the mid range model. Thank you guys for your help! :D