Macbook Pro Retina Warranty for College

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sifinity, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Sifinity macrumors 6502

Sifinity

So i will attending college/university in the fall and i am getting a 15' retina , the question is do i buy applecare for it or do i buy adorama's 5 year leaf plus warranty with accidental damage or do i take the hit and buy both? both are the same price $250

2. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Most people just buy AppleCare. To be honest, I've never heard of Adorama...:eek:

3. htc fan macrumors 6502

Get squaretrade warranty they cover accidental damage

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd look at the fine print at Adorama's extended warranty. Typically retailer's extended warranties are set up such a way that its well for them to extract your money and not so well at actual coverage

Squaretrade warranty is a more known alternative with a good reputation.

5. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Adorama, like B&H, is one of big online retailers in the NY area, They have been around for years. I just used their killer deals to get a 2013 rMBP with AppleCare for $600 off the combo...and naturally no sales tax or shipping charges.

Simply compare the terms and conditions (T&C) to both policies. What types of problems are included? What about accidental damage? On this site we often hear of folks spilling drinks onto the machine or dropping it. AppleCare will not cover accidental damage. Indeed Square Trade may be a better policy for repairs.

One big advantage for a Mac is you can walk into an Apple store if there is a problem. That may or may not get you a faster repair.

6. Sifinity thread starter macrumors 6502

Sifinity

7. nostresshere macrumors 68030

If you guy two, you then have to decide which one you are going to take it to for repairs.

for that much money, maybe taking care of it would be cheaper.

8. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

9. Sifinity thread starter macrumors 6502

Sifinity

i already got the mac , and i didn't get from adorama cause they don't have financing :( although i didn't get applecare i didn't get a bad deal on it either for $2400(tax included) with $100 gift card , i could return it an get it with applecare but my parents don't want to take a $2500 hit all at once

----------

i do take care of my mac , i had a 13' before my 15' and only time i took it to the apple store was when the trackpad was going on a frenzy and that to in 3 years 1 time , the thing is that I'm scared this 15' will have ghosting or yellow tint problems in the future , i read some guy switched his mac 4 times and still had some problem

----------

i would get square trade warranty but that thing is so expensive that i can get both the warranties for less than its 3 year plan