Macbook Pro Retina webcam light turns on when mounting or unmounting a program?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alexanderasher, Mar 13, 2014.

1. alexanderasher, Mar 13, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2014

alexanderasher macrumors member

alexanderasher

Hi, recently, I came across a strange issue. When mounting or unmounting a program installer, the green webcam light on my Macbook Pro flashes. I have a retina Macbook Pro 15", if that matters at all, with the highest possible specs. Anyone else have anything similar? Or know how to fix it?

And it's only for like, a second. Not even.

Here's a video of the issue, so you know what I'm talking about.

EDIT: Strangely enough, it seems to have stopped... but, does anyone know what the **** just happened?

2. nathanalf macrumors regular

nathanalf

:eek: NSA!!!!

(someone had to say it, hahaha) But still. That is the strangest thing...

3. alexanderasher thread starter macrumors member

alexanderasher

Wanna know what's strange? Just before it, I posted a rant about this article on facebook. http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2014/03/webcams-mics/

It's almost too coincidental.

4. nathanalf macrumors regular

nathanalf

You have to be kidding me... o.o

Maybe I need to seriously consider covering the camera up... Damn.

5. alexanderasher thread starter macrumors member

alexanderasher

I know I am now. I'm just worried it's something a bit worse than the NSA. I don't recall installing anything risky recently, but yeah. I'm tempted to do a reformat and reinstall, just to be on the safe side.

6. nathanalf macrumors regular

nathanalf

I would suggest looking in the console and seeing exactly what was causing the camera to turn on every time you mounted a DMG...

If that doesn't turn up anything, reformat/reinstall would be my next step/:

7. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

Any "spies" would be very disappointed with viewing my webcam, nothing exciting happening here.

Barney

8. alexanderasher thread starter macrumors member

alexanderasher

[​IMG]

Incase the image doesn't show

Uh...?

And, it doesn't do it anymore, as I said.

9. goMac macrumors 603

Mmmm very strange. Definitely doesn't look like your imagination. Something was turning on and off the camera, possibly taking your picture.

I don't think it's the NSA (or has to do with your comment.) But I do wonder who's had physical access to your computer. Are you the original owner? Is it an organizational computer that might be running it's own security/tracking software?

10. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

11. alexanderasher, Mar 14, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2014

alexanderasher thread starter macrumors member

alexanderasher

It's a 100% personal use computer. Should I go forward with the reinstall process?

Also, I bought it new from the apple store, and formatted it once already, on christmas. My worry is, will formatting degrade the SSD? I need this laptop to last me 6 years or so (Hence why I went all out)

Something I should mention, I tried logging into my bank account on the computer, basically baiting it to try and come out, then have been monitoring it like a hawk. I did this last night, and haven't gotten locked out of my account nor has the balance changed aside from things bought myself. So, I'm not so sure if this is a keylogger or someone accessing my machine, but rather a technical glitch.

12. alexanderasher thread starter macrumors member

alexanderasher

Sorry for double posting, but I figured I'd update.

I ultimately decided to format, but now I'm worried about something. Do you guys think my external and dropbox were affected by whatever I had, if I had something? Or should it be safe?

I ran a virus check the other day and it came up clean, so.

13. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Wow, if I even <thought> I had a key logger or similar I would not bait it with real internet banking details, if you account gets emptied in 6mths time you'll feel pretty dumb.

Anything on your machine has to be given permission by you to be there so a fresh install is the way to go, and consider Little Snitch, it'll tell you if anything is trying to beam your details off your machine.

There aren't any self-installing viruses on the OSX platform, only malware that requires human install permissions so practicing safe techniques is fine, I wouldn't even trust any OSX "anti virus" software as by definition it may be misleading you as to its need...

14. alexanderasher thread starter macrumors member

alexanderasher

To even log into my bank account you need a number it texts my phone, so I'm not that worried. And if it gets emptied I don't keep much in there anyway.

And I don't recall installing any malware that I was unaware of. Only things I've installed on OSX outside of the App store is dropbox, utorrent, better touch tool, the adobe suite, sophos, and... I think that's it.

Which is why I'm pretty sure that what happened isn't that I was being monitored, and rather that there was a weird messup. Who knows, I'm going to the apple store this monday to get my screen fixed (Dead pixel) so I'll show them the video and see if they know anything about it.

15. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Ah cool, that sounds better :)