MacBook Pro retina with multiple issues. Help asked for

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by josh bear, Dec 29, 2012.

1. josh bear macrumors regular

Hi all

I have the MacBook Pro 15 inch retina with the 2.6 processor and 8gb of ram. Over the last three week I have seen a few issues so would like to do a full factory reset.

I bought the MacBook with lion and then upgraded to mountain lion and since is the first mac I have owned without installing disks please can someone explain what I need to do given I started with lion and then upgraded.

In case it is relevant my issues have been

Time machine won't restore it says not enough space on HD1 to continue

iMovie takes 5 minutes to move between events. The event were imported mini dv movies from my camcorder.

iMovie will no longer show the video preview. I hear the sound but don't see the video. A google search shows people have fixed this by reinstall action of the os

The inbuilt webcam will not activate in safari. Note that face time works as does the camera when used from Firefox.

Hence my decision to go for a reinstall.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Josh

2. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

Yeah sounds like the upgrade gave your OS some bugs. I would just reinstall the OS (but probably lion, if it were me). I've heard of quite a few people having issues with ML.

3. josh bear thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I agree. Never had an issue before the upgrade. Is it a simple case of downloading lion from the App Store? And if so will that effectively restore the MacBook to as it was when I opened it?

Thanks

josh

4. leman macrumors 604

If you want to do a complete clean install, you should first back up your data. Then you need to restart the machine and use the internet recovery to erase the SSD and perform a clean installation. Once its done, just get your data back.

5. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

I agree. It's crucial to back up your data, unless you think some of your data is crippling your machine. That's usually not the case though. Reinstalling the OS without a disk is simple. Use internet recovery, which will let you reinstall using the internet. Full detailed information on this process can be found here. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

6. ukraine55 macrumors newbie

Take it to AppleCare. Might be defective (Integrated) memory you are dealing with. Only thing that I am dealing with my Retina is the slow screen load up when waking up from sleep more than 2 hours. :mad:

7. josh bear thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice all

Much appreciated.

Josh