Macbook Pro Retina Won't Shutdown Normally

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Matthew.H, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Matthew.H macrumors 6502

Matthew.H

My sister's Macbook Pro Retina won't shutdown or restart correctly. When you try to do either through the main menu the menu bar itself disappears but the macbook won't shutdown. You have to hold down the power button to force it to shutdown. I have already made a genius bar appointment for it and the macbook is within it's original 1 year warranty and it has Applecare+ on it.

I'm wondering if it's a software issue as my Macbook Pro Retina (Same model as my sister's one) had the same issue for a short while but fixed itself after I did a software update. My sister's one is already on the latest version of el capitan so, I can't just update it.

2. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

See what the Apple Genius finds from the appointment. A hands on check out from an expert is usually much more productive than strangers guessing on the internet with very little information available.

3. skillets macrumors newbie

If you use Avid products you might try removing

/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/Avid CoreAudio.plugin/

or

/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/Digidesign CoreAudio.plugin/

this was the cause of three of our computers not shutting down after the El Capitain upgrade. After removing the first shutdown will require "sudo shutdown -r now" from the terminal or press and hold the power button. This solved the problem for all three computers for us.