Macbook Pro Retina ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ncage1974, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Ncage1974 macrumors member

Hey guys i'm in the process of deciding what my next macbook will be. I'm going to get either a macbook rp 13 or a macbook air 13. It looks like the two main differences between the two will be the retina resolution & the availability to get 16GB of ram. I do have a concern with the resolution though. I have a windows ultrabook with retina-type resolution (2560x1440). When using linux VMs in vmware workstation it makes it almost unusable because everything is so small. If i'm using Parallels/vmware/virtualbox am i going to have the same issues with the resolution on a retina display or is the way the mac handles resolution so different enough than windows that everything in my vm will be sized appropriately?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

thanks...

2. elviorion macrumors newbie

The price difference between the 2 models makes this a bit of an easier choice in my opinion. The machines are virtually the same price, but the Pro gives you better hardware (the processor alone is a jump enough to justify a little bit extra $, add in the retina display? pssh). At the end of the day the weight difference is not very great, the footprint is almost identical. For me it's not a tough decision to go with the Pro. You don't HAVE to run it at retina resolution if its a pain for you to.

3. rodrigoluizb macrumors member

I had the same question you have until they release the new rMBP with haswell. The rMBP and MBA prices are very similar but the retina display, intel iris and higher clock will make the rMBP my 1st notebook. As you said, the rMBP also has the possibility to upgrade the RAM for 16GB, and it's exactly what i did.

4. elviorion macrumors newbie

Same here Rodrigo. I went with 2.4ghz, 256gig hd, and 16 gig of ram.

Btw, my wife is from SP. Her parents are a couple of hours away from Campinas in SP still. Small world :cool:

5. Ncage1974 thread starter macrumors member

Resolution?

Thanks guys for the reply but how about the resolution in linux VMs? Will everything appear super tiny (almost unusable) like it does on my win ultrabook with a high res display? That would pretty much be a show stopper 4 me.