Macbook Pro returned to me with downgraded wireless!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sam-i-am, Jan 6, 2009.

1. sam-i-am macrumors member

I recently sent in my MBP for some unrelated repairs and it was returned to me with an OEM Wireless G card. I had previously upgraded it to a wireless N card myself.

I seem to remember calling Apple at the time and asking them if the upgrade would effect my warranty and they said no, just that the new part would not be covered. Now that they have stolen it from me, I wanted to double check the policy before I talk to them again.

What is the policy on doing your own upgrades?

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

i doubt they stole your wireless n card, MAC OS Leopard requires the latest drivers for the operating system to recognise that the N card is inside, otherwise it would think its a G card, so fully update your Mac again. Also if your MBP was an early 2008 you may have to repurchase the N unlocking software again ($2)

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I had a similar problem when I accidentally sent my MacBook Pro to Apple with 4GB of RAM (they sent me a replacement with 2GB). I called Apple explained the situation, stated that I really needed that RAM back, after going to a supervisor I was successful and they shipped me 4GB of RAM. It may work for you, it may not as RAM is pretty easy to access and is pretty user upgradeable while the wireless card is much less so. I would try it though, it would help to have the name of the person who told you that it would not effect your warranty handy so Apple can verify what you stated.

4. sam-i-am thread starter macrumors member

I thought that might be the case as well, but the mac address for the card has changed. I noticed because my static DHCP wasn't working anymore. I have the old mac address (showing manufacturer by some random chinese company) and the new one (showing Apple, inc.) :eek:

It's a first gen MBP and all the updates are applied.

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Rev A MacBook Pros come with a Wireless G Airport card. So it won't gain Wireless N capabilities by updates, you'll need to call Apple and see if they will help you. (Like I said above)